Changing Brake Fluid

It’s about time for me to switch over to a high performance brake fluid. I know the steps to bleeding brakes, but I’ve never physically done it.

-I know the bleed order for my Brembos (Right Front -> Left Rear -> Left Front -> Right Rear), bleeding the inside nipple first.

-I know to open the bleeders SLOWLY so the old fluid comes out slowly and consistently, as to not let any air into the system.

-I know to keep the reservoir topped off with the new fluid, so the MC doesn’t run dry.

-I know not to do this inebriated so I don’t fuck it up.

Some questions:

-I’ve read that it’s critically important not to mix the old fluid with the new, especially different DOTs (I’m going from stock fluid, I think DOT3, to ATE Super Blue - DOT4).
How am I supposed to keep the fluids from not mixing when I’m bleeding out the old fluid while filling it with the new?

-Has anyone bled brakes pumping the pedal with the car on? I’ve read that it results in better brake feel because the extra pressure pushes more air bubbles out of the system.

-Can I buy ATE Super Blue at the local Autobone or do I have to find it online?

If anyone who’s done this before is willing to lend me a hand in bleeding my brakes in the next few weeks (this thread isn’t in the OH CRAP HELP NOW forum cuz it’s not really an emergency) or has speedbleeders, that would be awesome. I’ll supply the beer/food or buy you a hooker if thats what floats your boat, only male hookers though.

Thanksssss :slight_smile:

I haven’t done mine yet but i can say make sure you use a hose when you bleed them, the paint on the pretty brembos doesn’t like break fluid at all. Keep us posted i am interested to see if there is any improvement. Are you staying to stock pads?

well i have speed bleeders so i just open and pump but if ur switching from a non-synthetic to synthetic u have to flush the lines with alcohol…so i was told…a complete flush can be very time consuming…

You mean fitting a hose to the bleeder and dumping into a cup?

Yikes, I have never heard this.

I think DOT 4 is only semi-syntethic flud though…i cant remember…if its the Blue stuff my brother put some in his car and i am pretty sure its only Semi…maybe Carnut will know

FYI good read on brake fluid:

http://stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_brakefluid_1a.shtml

I know that Dot 5 isn’t compatable. ATE super blue and some other DOT 4 fluids are full synthetic though…

Oh… and this:

ATE® Super Blue (DOT 4) has a dry boiling point of 536F and a wet boiling point of 396F. ATE Super Blue is identical in specification to the ATE TYP 200 brake fluid.
ATE Super Blue is compatible and will mix with most DOT3, DOT4, or DOT 5.1 Fluids.

Innovative sells Super Blue…don’t think you can get it at Autozone…

you should bleed from farthest to closest to the master…if memory serves me right, the master is on the drivers side of the car, so you should bleed right rear, left rear, right front, left front

fwiw

Nope you can’t get it at Autozone as far as I know.

Yeah thats the corect order to bleed them in.

*eh, actually - some cars Do have different bleeding sequences… i know my brother’s '93 teg has some goofy sequence according to the factory service manual as some lines are longer or something :gotme:

yea some cars r different

I can help you, seeing as though I used to work for a brake company. If you pursuade me I might be adpt to help.

Tom - I might have to take you up on this offer. Thanks, I’ll talk to ya soon :slight_smile:

Hmm… Brake fluid change… I have been meaning to do this for a while. I have a vaccum bleeder LMK if you want to use it.

You can always get speedbleeder http://www.speedbleeder.com/ for your car. From experience, vacuum bleeder sucks. It’s hard to get the seal you would like.