Changing spark plugs on an IS300

So you may think big deal, how hard is it to change spark plugs.

Well, Lexus/Toyota charges you between 6-8 hours of labour.

Needless to say I did it in about 3, taking smoke brakes and having the phone ringing endlessly.

The upper intake manifold and throttle body lie right on top of the engine (rb20/25 like), which makes it impossible to even see the coil packs. So the upper intake mani needs to be removed. In order to do that you need to:
1 - Remove throttle cable
2 - Remove intake tube
3 - remove vacuum lines (5)
4 - Remove coolant lines (2)
5 - Remove heater hose

Then you [somewhat] have access to the coilpacks and wires. You then need to remove all of the wires that lie on top of the coilpacks. There are onlu 3 coil for the 6 plugs. Therefore there are extra wires everywhere.

The last plug at the back (cyl #6) was a PITA to get out since my spark plug tool was tight against the firewall/cowl. That alone took me about 30 min to remove and another 10 or so to get on tight.

Anyway, here are a few pics I took of the whole ordeal.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/s12_gotBoost/0729071311.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/s12_gotBoost/0729071311a.jpg

P.S. Denso Iridium FTMFW!

How do you like the IS300? I’ve been thinking about picking one up when I make it home.

just wondering what’s the point of this post? obviously wrong forum… HOWEVER… my brother took the easy yet painful route of paying and letting Lexus take care of that.
He just recently spent over $1300 for maintenance shit. OUCH !!

So congrats on tackling the job yourself.

I really like my brothers IS, its a great combination of luxury, with a descent performance package.
Obviously it doesn’t have tons of power, but for what it is, its a great car, awesome interior, nice ride, comfortable, stylish, good looking. etc.

They rock the inline six right?? Is this the same motor the non turbo supra has? How about the handling? If Nissan made a rwd luxury I’d be all over it but unfortunatly not reality. I know about the Infinity but a little pricey still.

Yeah it’s an NA 2JZ.

And as far as the G35 goes, I was actually about to buy one instead but, although it was cheaper (17000) it just felt too big. And you just can’t beat Toyota reliability.

Handling is amazing. It is riding on TRD springs which were used on the rare L-Tuned model. There is minimal body roll even compared to the 240 on Megans, and a shitload smoother and quieter.

Loving it so far.

I also own one. I have no complaints either…yet