civic timing question

so i changed my head gasket in my 93 d15 civic. it runs great, no problems. but now it has to crank over 6-7 times before it will fire up, before it fired up almost instantly. what can i do to bring it back?

also, i cleaned out the intake/throttle body with engine degreaser, and it caused the throttle to become sticky, anyone have a stock one that i can have? lol

so how is this a timing issue?

what else could it be? nothing changed besides the new head gasket and getting the head decked, which would change the distance between cam and crank pulleys which would change the timing belt orientation. same as a stretched belt. before it would barely crank twice then be running, now it definitely has to turn over before it fires.

i just dont know what degree i should set timing to if i go out with my timing gun.

if you have other possibilities id be glad to hear them, but i cant think of what else it could be from just changing the head gasket.

go out spry some carb cleaner or starting shit … in the intake and see what happens… ?? once it starts how does it run? is it shitty … also get a 12mm wrench and adj the dizzy … did you reset the ecu for the timming also?? its the other green pinout area next to where you check engine codes

and for the deck issue your timing belt tensioner(sp) should take up the extra mm

you JUST said you had gummed up the intake/throttle body with degreaser…chances are you clogged up or partially clogged up the small air passages meant for start-up and idle.

this is what im trying to get at… why its not a timing issue

:ahighafayve:

the timing belt was new like 20k ago, i did not do anything with the ecu, just lined up the marks and drove off

and i had the intake manifold off the car and head, i douched it pretty good with at least a whole can of carb cleaner before i put it back on the car. how can i unclog the passages with it on the car? i cant believe i made it worse though, it was covered in thick black gunk and when i put it in it was bare metal.

you didnt make it worse. the people in this thread dont know what they are talking about. did you set the timing when you put the dizzy back on? or just line it up close to where it was? your issue is probably timing after all.
your intake manifold cleanliness should have NOTHING to do with how fast the car starts.

oh, and set timing to 16 degrees with a light, that should make the car start a little better.

and FYI, it would crank FOREVER sometimes when i had it. i’m glad its been so good to you! 35+ mpg?

If you can’t get it let me know and I will be happy to adjust it for you, cost you $10. $30 if i got to drive to you :stuck_out_tongue:

i didnt even unbolt the dizzy at all, it stayed in the same position the whole time. but like i said, machining material off the head makes for more distance the cam has to turn before the belt is tight, effecting timing. so thanks bret, ill check it this weekend.

and my room mate has been driving it all summer, so this weekend ill be putting a full tank in it after i fix the gas leak (rubber line from tank to car i think, its right in that junction area) i think it got around 32 last i remember.

haha, thanks, but ive got to use my mac timing gun for something. i really havent used it since '06 when i had my 240 with a sr20det. lol.

i still want a different throttle body for it, it sometimes stays a little open and i have to jab the throttle to get it to go back down. it was a lot worse when i first put it back together. i think the seals have swelled up because of the engine degreaser. i might go to the local jy and see how much i can jip the guy down there. i also want a functioning back glass (defrost and woper) and a passenger mirror.

one more thing, anyone have any ideas to water proof the car? its fairly rotted and last winter i used great stuff with seam sealer over it, and it kinda worked, but i want something a little more runny and will seal it up. maybe roofing cement? lol. i just dont like to a) hear the outside and b) get water leaks that cause must/mold. i really dont care about looks.

STOP right there … back to my first post are you sure its getting gas??.. so the real answer is you have a leak… so it take a few extra sec. to get the gas to the injectors…

FYI this is your problem … nothing with timming like i also said in my first post

and yes people know what they are talking about on here.

its just that the op did not answer all questions asked

it doesnt leak that bad. but ill report after i fix it.

but you gotta get where i am coming from with machining the head and changing the relative distances…

no b/c you took off .01 of a inch not 1/4in, the pully will take up that room … its not a issue… … really try some ether and if it starts right away its a gas issue…

really that lil leak is you problem

also try this… start car shut off and start back up will it start right away? next try it and wate like 5 min see what happens… that drop in presure is big here

fuel pressure

gas leak is fixed. still does it. ill give it the warm restart test next time i remember. could it be a bad fpr?