I feel like this deserves it’s own thread at this point due to the recent escalations.
If you haven’t been paying attention Texas and the Biden administration have been really going at it over Biden’s refusal to secure the border. Texas, under governor Greg Abbott’s orders, finally had enough and decided if the fed won’t secure it they will. Some highlights:
- Texas installs floating barriers in the Rio Grande, Biden takes them to court. Latest I can find on this was the 5th Circuit siding with Biden that the floating barriers must be removed.
- Biden refuses to secure Eagle Pass (where over 10k illegals per week are crossing), Texas takes over Eagle Pass, kicks the border patrol out and proceeds to lock Eagle Pass down, telling the US Border Patrol they are no longer allowed in.
- Texas installs razor wire, Biden orders border patrol to cut it.
- Texas sues, gets lower court order to stop Biden from cutting razor wire.
- Biden administration flat out lies and says a mother and 2 children died because Texas would not allow them in to help on a possible drowning call from the Mexican side. We find out later that by the time US Border Patrol got involved the 3 people had already drowned and Border Patrol knew this, despite trying to claim they needed to cut the wire to help save them.
- Biden takes the razor wire case all the way to the Supreme Court, SC sides with Biden and says Border Patrol can cut the wire. (5-4 decision, with Roberts yet again betraying conservatives)
- The next day Abbott doubles down and posts pictures to social media of the Texas National Guard installing more razor wire.
- Democrats start calling for Biden to seize control of the Texas National Guard.
So that pretty much catches us up as of 1/25/24. I’m sure I’ve missed some things. It’s pretty wild that we have a sitting US president not only refusing to stop millions of illegals from flooding over our insecure border, but he is going to such incredible lengths to prevent border states from securing the border as well. That Texas has reached a point where they have kicked federal Border Patrol agents out of a border pass and given the middle finger to a Supreme Court ruling is pretty unprecedented.
Also making this interesting is the fact that the Texas Military isn’t what you typically think of when you think of the National Guard. It currently consists of:
Texas Army National Guard, with 18000+ soldiers which includes:
- The 36th Infantry Division
- The 56th Infantry Brigade Combat Team
- The 72nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team
- The 36th Combat Aviation Brigade
- The 71st Battlefield Surveillance Brigade
- The 36th Sustainment Brigade
- The 176th Engineer Brigade
- The 136th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade
- The 136th Expeditionary Signal Battalion
- The 136th Regiment (CA) (RTI)
As well as the Texas Air National Guard, with almost 3200 soldiers which includes:
- The 149th Fighter Wing
- The 136th Airlift Wing
- The 147th Attack Wing
- The 254th Combat Communications Group
- The 272nd Engineering Installation Squadron
- The 204th Security Forces Squadron.
Oh yeah, and the Texas State Guard, which brings another 1700 soldiers. When they say “Don’t mess with Texas” they aren’t kidding. I have no idea where this goes next but it’s a pretty crazy time to be alive. To my Texas friends… when you secede will one of you sponsor me for Texas citizenship?