Classic Car Plates

What are the governing rules and requirements, and what provisions are made for cars that have them?

not sure if 15 or 20 years old. must appear stock and can be driven less than 5000 miles a year

cool…thanks…it IS stock, and as for the 5000 a year thing, as soon as i get a suitable beater, that’s probably going to be the case…inspection and such still the same?

I’m betting you don’t need emissions as long as it appears everything is in place

cant drive at nite unless coming from a show!

I thought that was antique? :dunno: I thought classic had a yearly mileage limit but no restriction on time of day.

I had antique plates on my 1962 buick, you couldn’t drive it during the week or at night, it was for weekend shows during the day only.

To get classic plates, you will have to submit four pictures of the car along with your application. In these pictures the car must look “stock”. If you mod the car after you get the plates, no big deal. The other bonus is that you do not have to renew your plates every year.

Emissions inspection is not required, but regular inspection is. Car must be 15 years old or older.

As stated by 77, no driving restrictions, but must stay under 5000 miles per year.

And the nighttime driving restrictions for antique plates are limited to vehicles whose lights pre-date “sealed beam” lights.

Good information, all correct.
In addition, the state is VERY stringent on the no mods requirement. I applied for antique plates on a 65 Rambler i bought a number of years back, and the state rejected the application due to the trailer hitch the PO had put on it at some point. I had to remove it and reshoot the pictures and resubmit the application.
What did you get Mike?

The use of a digital camera can make situations like this easier. I know someone :dunno: that editied their aftermarket wheels with factory ones and had no problem getting it to pass.

Just somethinig to think about, but must be REAL GOOD at photo editing.

you dont need emissions if you drive less than 5000 miles a year, so with the classic plates, you wouldnt get it if you follow the rules

A 1985 Pontiac Fiero 2M4. Not the fastest car in the world, but something I always wanted as a kid, and in very good shape, as the car was maintained by the City of Pittsburgh for the duration of its life. Besides, you get it in the turns, and you just point it where you want it to go…

i’ll slap the fuck out of you if you get classic car plates for a fucking fiero.

hahahahaha

Hahahah…but seriously, why the fuck not? If he plans on keeping the car longer than 2 years, why hand over more money to the douche bags in Harrisburg than he needs to? The car qualifies, i say go for it! But unless you keep the car for 3 or more registration cycles, you will lose money on the deal.
Here is what the application for the plate looks like
http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotforms/mv_forms/mv-11.pdf
I have always liked the Fieros also, but PLEASE tell me it’s a 5 speed…

it was a motor pool car, so it’s an automatic, but don’t worry, Dave…i got a Getrag 5 speed, rebuilt, for a song and a dance. also, it’s my daily driver at the moment, and i have a bad left knee, so city driving will kill me in it. I need to get a beater before the 5 speed goes in…winter project = yes.

well, thanks for your concern, but three VR6s later, it’s time for something that isn’t a VW. like i said, i’ve wanted one since i was a kid, and for the price of every new VR6 i bought, i could have done a 350 or GTP swap into a fiero. besides, the fast isn’t the primary concern anymore. i’m just in this to have fun, and it’s a neat car, and a conversation piece. i live in the north hills, and i see VR6 jettas and golfs daily. i NEVER see fieros.

and as soon as i get a 4X4 for the winter, it probably will get classic plates, so you can bitch slap me then…

Strange motor pool car…
Where you working these days?..shoot me a PM.

maybe it was a shitty job (he did say it was for the state) and the riders were hoping on getting into a front end collision and burning to death :rofl:

i’d get the plate just to avoid having to pass emissions annually.

City used it as a sting vehicle for narcotics/prostitution.

PM sent.

Check under the seats for joints/condoms

so say you get the pics u need, and it looks stock and gets the plate and classification…

no renewing of plates, etc etc

do they ever check your car afterwords? could you get pulled over by a cop for visually not looking stock and get that classic plate taken away?