Clutch Change Assistance

I’m looking to do a clutch change this Friday evening and Saturday afternoon (maybe even part of Thursday evening too) in my Integra, but I’m a little daunted by the task. Anyone wanna help me? I’d like to meet some new members in time for spring. Compensation will be given in (nearly) whatever form you want.

I’ve got access to the RPI student shop in Troy that has a lift and pretty much a full garage of tools.

Fully, I’m going to do a stock clutch change, install a lightweight flywheel, drain and replace the tranny fluid, and install a new throwout bearing. I’ve got a Haynes manual and some other instructions from team-integra too.

Help would be really appreciated and I’ll be generous. Let me know if you’re available and I’ll give you my phone number. I’d prefer someone who has done it before, but it’s not necessary.

Nick (AP1) is the one guy I really know on here, but he doesn’t seem to answer his phone.

Jeff

i wont be much help, but good luck, jeff

you might recognize me by my car (i’m ryan) :wink:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff31/kramerbuccs24/Altima%20SE-R/Untitled-1.jpg

hmmmm definitely interested, not 100% what i’m doing saturday. pm me i’ll see what the deal is tomorrow. no reason you’d need the shop any longer than saturday. its quick, in and out, as long as you have the parts and nothing breaks :wink: … i’m unavail friday, and unless we get stuck, sunday.

Edit: FML we’d need to get a head start saturday like 7 or 8 am… cuz i got a party i have to be at @ 6. which means at the latest i need to bounce by 4.

Good to hear from you Ryan! You still planning to do some more autocrosses this spring? I bet I can get some RPI guys out to another SCCA event.

Wayne, can you work at all on Thursday or Friday after 6pm til about 11? As far as I know, the shop won’t open until around 10am on Saturday.

Make sure you get that flywheel balanced before you put it in!

i am down for both thurs and friday nights… i have a d00d coming here friday afternoon to drop off a transmission for me, so i’m not 100% sure on friday. but if he leaves by that time i am down.

no reason we can’t have it all apart and ready to go back in thurs night. they are cake… esp with a lift… i did mine on my back.

what year teg is it? j/c and does the shop have air tools or just a compressor? cause i can bring some of mine that we will need.

yup, ill be at every one that i can be at. teggy still running strong (minus the clutch, of course :lol ) ?

wat?

If by balancing you mean re-surfacing, then yes that has been done.

Sweet. I’ve had some major hiccups these past 8 months (nearly hydrolocked, wheel fell off while driving, harmonic balancer bolt backed out and sheared) but she still runs great and I smile every time I crank it up.

Good to hear. I’d like to get this started and finished asap because the shop will likely be crowded. I think I just have to find a clutch alignment tool, but I’ve been told a broom handle could fit lol. There’s a local garage that might let me borrow theirs for the weekend. I sent you a PM with my number.

Mine’s a 97 and yes the shop has a compressor and some air tools. I’ll have to check which ones.

i’ll bring mine just in case they don’t have or someone else is using. i have my clutch alignment tool i will bring. :slight_smile: this is gonna be fun!

Jeff you should probably just AutoX this weekend and do it next weekend. Good plan.

Im sorry I havent answered lately jeff. you always call me while im at work. and my boss is a douche bag. by the time im out, i forget that anyone has called me and i forget to call people back. My bad bro

Ahh i saw this teggy at the scca event last year. Ill head up and help out you and wayne depending on the time. I might be able to come up friday night but for sure can come 10-1230 and atleast pitch a hand on saturday.

Oh btw we have lots of clutch alignment tools in the back tool box by the fridge.

air tools:
impact guns
angle grinders
drills
nozzle to fill up your tires

I think that’s it, only the impact gun is useful to you anyways.

See you Friday (well hopefully not)

it’s cool, i got all my shit with me. might need to steal an air nozzle or something.

wayne when are you gonna head up?

i’m gonna meet this dude at his house today around 530-545. depends on traffic coming out of ol’ albs.

Thanks for the assistance dkid15 (I don’t remember your face or car, sorry!), we’re getting started today around 530 and hopefully finish tonight. If you wanna come by and get dirty, your welcome to.

Oh and Mr. Tungsten (lol) thanks for the shop info and suggestions. The clutch is already broken in and the flywheel was previously used so I should be good to go as soon as the install is done. I think I can finagle it where I show up for tech around 1145am and still participate.

Wayne - the new pressure plate, pilot bearing and loctite will be in my hands by the time you arrive. Fuckin’ Acura dealer hosing my shit.

You should always have a flywheel resurfaced when getting a differant clutch or it could cause uneven ware and glazing