Clutch losing pressure?

Hey, anyone familiar with those one-man bleeder kits? I have one, just wondering if anyone has used one for clutch bleeding and if it worked, or if I should not bother and just wait 'til Friday and get a friends help?

just get a friends help. it will come out right the first time. but is your resevor fluid a dark color?

It is dark, but according to everyone that is par for the course for clutch fluid.

well its the more of the mster cylinder then the slave.

Alright, before I go bleeding the clutch without it needing it, or before I go buying a new master cylinder, if it doesn’t need it…

Here’s some more symptoms that are becoming more consistent.

The clutch, if pressed quickly down, will generate pressure.

If you press the clutch in slowly, you will generate no pressure at all.

I know that pressure loss like that and needed pumping of the clutch is usually an indicator of a bad master.

Does a bad master cylinder ALWAYS coincide with fluid loss? Also, if it was air in the system, how would it get introduced into the system when the fluid level has been kept full all along?

Okay, so me and my friend bled the clutch today.

No dice. Nothing is different. Same thing is still happening. Also, strange thing., when you put fluid into the resevoir, it is turning jet black immediatly. Guessing I need a new master?

Shady let me know what you need

Its either a new clutch master cylinder, or a slave cylinder. :dunno:

They should be pretty cheap. I know on civic’s they are ~$15.

Well, I’m going to drop by Autozone on lunch and order a new master cylinder ($53).

I’m figuring the seals inside the master must be deteriorating due to the immediate blackening of the fluid that is going on as soon as I top off the resevoir.

Should be getting to that this weekend. Does anyone have a Mityvac bleeder they could let me borrow?

Just thought I’d update this…

The seals in the master cylinder were shot and leaking internally and the pressure loss was getting VERY bad.

I replaced the Master cylinder, and all is well now. It’s weird driving with a clutch that holds pressure and is firm and has a consistant release point.

Thanks for the suggestions and any info.

Glad you got it fixed.

Thanks, now is there any value of a master cylinder with bad internal seals? Like, should I try to sell it as needing a rebuild, or just junk it?