Clutch Problem!

I tried to drive my car (93 240sx) today, and the clutch was really soft, and the engage point was at the floor. I drove it for a little bit, and then the engage point disappeared. I manged to coast into a gas station. When I got there, the clutch pedal wouldn’t bounce back at all. I checked the fluid for the clutch and it was gone. I tried topping it up, but it didn’t seem to have any immediate effects. Should I just let it sit for a bit, or is there something else wrong with it? Car ran beautifully yesterday morning. If you need more info, let me know. If there is anybody around brampton that wants to help me push it back to my house, or can get a cheap tow truck, I would really appreciate it.

just filling it up will not remove the air in the system.

get a friend to help you and bleed it at the gas station, (after dark if someones going to bitch about it)

check inside on the pedal itself to see if the clutch master is leaking into the passenger compartment - - usually the problem with these S-chassis

Fluid doesn’t just disappear, it leaks out from somewhere. Find the point of fluid loss and repair it before filling your fluid up and trying to drive around again.

The slave is usual the problem. Have fun bleeding it if you keep the dampner.

Yeah, I think it is my slave cylinder. Does anybody have a clue how much that would cost?

napa auto parts, $31, 6 feet of brake line $4. Total $40.XX tax in…

if its a factory 5 speed, you’ll have a clutch dampener, the clutch line goes to a little metal box (the size of a pack if cigs.) then another metal line goes to the rubber line that goes to the slave…

I’m gonna guess your fittnings will be a crappy, you may be able to re-use them, but you can take the metal line from the master cylinder and put that right into the flex line for the slave, and bleeding it will take 1/2 as long…

So I bought the slave cylinder, and my friend and I replaced the old one. We bled the line, but we still have a problem. After we bled it, we were able to pump the clutch, and get it into a position where it can shift, however, the pressure goes away. Pumping it fast gets pressure, but holding the clutch in, then releasing loses all pressure. Could this be air bubbles still left? Could we not be bleeding it properly? Was there something we were supposed to do to the new slave before we installed it?

So I bought the slave cylinder, and my friend and I replaced the old one. We bled the line, but we still have a problem. After we bled it, we were able to pump the clutch, and get it into a position where it can shift, however, the pressure goes away. Pumping it fast gets pressure, but holding the clutch in, then releasing loses all pressure. Could this be air bubbles still left? Could we not be bleeding it properly? Was there something we were supposed to do to the new slave before we installed it?

the only other thing that can be wrong is the master cylinder… probably the seals on it are gone… it won’t hurt to replace it, considering how old it is anyways :slight_smile:

the only other thing that can be wrong is the master cylinder… probably the seals on it are gone… it won’t hurt to replace it, considering how old it is anyways :slight_smile:

Did you bleed the clutch properly?

its different from brake bleeding. not calling you a dumbass or anything.

Dude bypass the damper and then bleed it agian and you will be fine.

Did you bleed the clutch properly?

its different from brake bleeding. not calling you a dumbass or anything.

Dude bypass the damper and then bleed it agian and you will be fine.