COD4 iw3mp.exe - All of a sudden?

I’ve been playing COD4 on this new rig for a while now with no problems. All of a sudden, today, I get booted out of the middle of a game with the horrid iw3mp.exe error.

I know this is a common error on fresh installs and it is driver related… but I haven’t updated a driver in forever… and I haven’t modified my COD4 install since day 1.

Why all of a sudden would it pop up and kick me out of games? This fucking sucks. It happened on my P4 machine when the game first came out… but I got through it…

I did, if I recall correctly, install EVGA Precision since my last COD4 match… where I was hitting GPU temps above 100* without the fan coming on. Should I uninstall Precision and see what happens? I don’t want to cook this card anytime soon.

OK, so I uninstalled Precision… now I can play.

BUT my card gets over 100* in about 20-30 minutes.

You can hear what sounds like the fan trying to run… but it just cycles between nothing and about 10%… which keeps it at about 100*/105*C…

The card doesn’t seem to function properly without precision installed.

dude, that card is gonna be toast…I had a 8600 running at 90+C, I wound up shipping it back to XFX dead. Your GPU cooler bite the dust?

This is what I did now…

Install precision, crank to 100% and jam.

No error.

No idea why.

EVGA says those cards can run @ 105* before physical harm is done. I thought that was crazy.

PWNing noobs @ 75* now… after 3 hours.

what model? GTX 285?

295…

Speaking of toast… I think I’m going to put some bread between the GPUs and make some.

I guess I didn’t answer your previous question properly though… yes the fan works, but doesn’t seem to do anything without precision installed.

I think you officially built the worst computer ever.

:word:

The most expensive POS ever