Coilover install

2010 VW GTI needs coilovers (KW V2) installed. I have given it a go myself but didn’t have the patience/tools to do it properly. Message me here with an approximate price.

Thanks
-Collyn

just texted a buddy of mine i will see what he says for price for you

---------- Post added at 10:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

pmd you his number with quote

I would be interested in helping with the install, I am an auto tech by day. shoot me a PM if you can’t find anyone :tup:

What special tools do you need?

strut spreader… dur

Strut spreader, spring compressor, few weird wrench sizes, confidence that I won’t fuck it up and a better understanding on how to do it. Fletch - will text him later today.

sounds good I gave him a heads up

swerve

I don’t know how I’d feel about paying someone who isn’t a friend or a shop to do the install.
http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8095
Not bad.

he has plenty of people to vouch for him and he has done plenty of coil-over installs for other people in the area

The fuck do you need a strut spreader or spring compressor for? Seeing as your car is almost brand new, after you get it up on jackstands it will take like 15minutes per side to install. (barring any weird specific things to your car. I had to take apart my gas filler neck) Only thing that will take maybe 1hr-2hrs is dialing them in.

Jack up the control arm, undo the bottom bolt into the arm, slide it off, then undo top bolts. Done. And it’s 35times easier to install coils because they are a lot shorter and there is no pressure on the arm.

PM’d them earlier this week, will call them tomorrow.

Seriously. Don’t underestimate the possibility for bullshit though. Bolts brake even on newer cars, and if you don’t have one in your collection(which any good mechanic should have) then you have to go get one. I pretty much never use spring compressors and have never used a strut spreader and I’ve done a ton of suspension work. I would offer to do this but I won’t have a free weekend day for some time.

Seriously, I’d do this with you for root beer and food to grill when we finished if I had the free time.

I appreciate the willingness to help. The thing is I want to learn and actually be involved, granted going to an established business I more than likely won’t be able to. I have read every DIY I could find on installing them, but going at it with limited tools and non-existant mechanical know-how seems to be an issue waiting to happen. Would rather not be posting a “Hi, I broke this stripped/broke this and need your help” thread or “This is what your face looks like when you don’t know how to use a spring compressor”

U r welcome to come over use my tools and I will guide u

Root beers and grilling! I’m game if I’m free.