installing coilovers

hey guys…I’m gonna be installing coilovers on my wrx myself this friday, and i’ve read through a few instructions for several cars, all seem the same process…any tips? I’ve got everything except for a breaker bar, so maybe i’ll go to crappy tire on my way home from work and get one…

any tips on how to know which coilovers go to the front and back/left right and which way to face them when isntalling? i don’t have the coilovers yet, will be picking them up friday before the install…is it pretty much dummy proof? ie once i get down to it, there’s no way to put it on the wrong way?

thanks for any tips :stuck_out_tongue:

if you’re installing it on a 240, it’s pretty straight forward. My advice is get some pb blaster from canadian tire just in case. that shit works miracles on rusty/seized bolts.

http://photos-c.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v233/226/85/1657860007/n1657860007_460650_9919.jpg

as for which coils go where and face which way? the fronts are easy… you can tell by the bracket the brake line mounts to on the coil compared to stock shocks, you should be able to figure out left or right if it doesn’t say.

as for the rears, the rear are pretty much the same, depend on what coils you have, on my tein HR’s there was sort of a flare on the coilover that’s how i knew which way they face.

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v195/226/85/1657860007/n1657860007_458592_6153.jpg

also, one last tip, if you can find some anti-seize or wheel bearing grease works just as fine as well, coat the coilover threads with anti-seize/grease when you’re done. It’ll help keep your coils from seizing up. best of luck!

what kind of coil-overs do you have? i know tein actually have a R or F on them as which to use if you need to install the spring CT rents spring compressors for $120 and you get your money back when you return it

installing coil overs are very simple. just make sure you remove your Brake caliper from the disc because when you remove the coilover that arm drops down. Its 1 bolt to remove the bottom and then ones in the shock towers.

MAKE SURE YOU TORQUE THE BOLTS PROPERLY

Done

I’m getting a set of Megan Racing track coilover kit, so won’t be needing the spring compressor. I hope they are marked as well lol…

as for the wheel bearing grease, i just lube up the “rings” for the height adjustments?
and can i just go into crappy tire and buy a small bottle of this grease?
I don’t plan to run these during the winter, I plan to swap back my stock suspension…should i still be worried about it seizing and putting on the grease?
and lastly, if i don’t grease it, can it be greased up later on by just removing the wheels?

I’ve heard that alot of coilovers tend to make clunking noises if the tob bolts/nuts aren’t tightened enough, alot of people say that the torque wrench isn’t enough, an impact gun would be best…any thoughts? I was planning on using the torque wrench to tighten to specs, and another 1/4 of a full turn…

I don’t winter drive my car either but i still like to cover the threads of the coilover with either anti-seize or grease because the elements will still have an effect on the coils just obviously not as bad as in the winter. I grease mine to keep them perfect.

Yes you can grease them threads later just by taking the wheel off. I usually grease it once i’ve set the height. as for clunking noises because the strut tower bolts aren’t tightened enough… i’ve never had problems ever and i tighten by hand with ratchet.

+1 for blaster stuff i use it at my work all the time just spray it on and let it sit for a few mins. then fill a container with it and put your nuts and bolts in there let them soak it will eat the rust fast but just so you know dont use a styraphome cup it will eat it up

ah crap…well that was a failure lol

on saturday night, took my rear seats out(2002 wrx), loosened the 3 nuts and loosened the middle nut on each rear strut, did the same for the front, then put the fronts up on jacks, took two tires off, and unclipped the rear break lines on both sides and the other line that’s hooked up to it on the side…

from here…i sprayed pb blaster on the two bolts on the bottom of each strut(the top one being a camber bolt, the bottom one…just as big lol both were 19mm)…

after struggling for a good 20minutes on trying to loosen it…no luck…

so i just put it all back on except for my rear seats…

i didn’t have a breaker bar…will that make it THAT much easier?

otherwise i’m gonna just go to a mechanic to install it…

what’s the going rate on installing these?

Dude, it’s really not a complicated process. Yes a breaker bar makes a difference, but I undid every bolt on my suspension by hand with a 1/2" ratchet… I find it hard to believe they’re on there with much more than 100lb-ft, which you should be able to get by hand.

It should take you maybe 30-40 minutes really, to swap them over, plus time for an alignment of course.

dude, i realize it’s not complicated, my issue was that the two lower bolts wouldn’t bust loose…trust me, i’m not a small person, and i had two big guys trying to help me out lol it was a STRUGGLe, but i’ve sprayed pb blaster, plan to get a breaker bar this week and hopefully the pb blaster will have done its job and make it easier for me lol

if you dont have a breaker bar put a pipe on the socket wrench for more leverage

get the breaker bar trust me! unless you want to spend $250-300 to have them installed by a shop! try again with the breaker bar and you’ll see!

Werd, if someone really cranked it on there, breaker bar should get it, if it doesn’t, put a pipe on it, if that doesn’t do it, get a longer pipe :smiley:

Try lossening the nut side first then try the bolt! If not then bring the car by Hyundai of Oakville and I’ll loosen them for you!

Trung

breaker bar = win

oh… make sure you’re loosening the bolt and not tightening it…

You’d be surprised how often that happens.

And breaker bar is the sex

do you need any help with this? I also have a breaker bar that I could bring as well…
send me a PM if you want…

hey guys! ok i got the breaker bar, gonna attempt it when i get home from work tonight lol

Lith! thanks for the offer! if i can’t get it done tonight i’ll PM you LOL since it’s warm out, gonna hope it brings me some luck!

oh and for the coilovers, can i spray wd40 on the rings for now? like where the height adjusters move up and down, i dont have any grease, but for now, would wd40 be ok?

well, since it was developed for the express purpose of keeping water off shit so it doesn’t rust or corrode, I’d say yeah, it’s as good or better.

well wd will work untill it evaporates
put grease or silicone lube it will last longer