College

Hey guys just wondering if you could help me out or point me in the right direction. Im lookin to go to college for automotive but i dont want to end up being a regular old mechanic or tech doin ball joints and tie rods. I want to end up building motors or tuning cars. Does anyone know of any places there is for this around here? Or do i have to go to Mohawk or some other local college that is just for basic information and have to apprentice at a regular old shop?..any help is appreciated thanks

I’m going to confederation college and taking aerospace manufacturing, its like cad and cam design and working with composites like carbon fiber and such. Thing that sucks is it’s in thunder bay.

90+% of people I know that do that didn’t go to anything car related at all, either started their own place, or started working for someone that has a performance shop. You don’t have to be certified to dick all, hell I can do it right now if I had the money and customers.

or the experience, tools, reputation, etc…

Zing by Bing

worker’s with experience+tools+shop=BIG money

it would help to do college though i looked into it for a while i think durham would give you a good eduacation on that stuff and it will give you something to put onto a resume

You tried centennial yet? Theyre program is HIGHLY competitive though…

Centennial is the highest regarded college for automotive in ontario. but if you want a step into the customization world there’s a customization schol in toronto its called Mobile Dynamics. http://www.mobiledynamics.ca/ give it a shot you never know.

Oh wow boost, sick link, i didnt even know about that.

Centennial is highly competitive, if you have more questions about marks needed to get in, give me a PM i recieved acceptance from them last year. They have great co-op programs with many different places from dealerships to private garages.

Another option would be the new program at University of Ontario Institute of Technology. AUtomotive engineering there is a program sponsored by GM. they have new facilities which include a wind tunnel, 4 post rocking machine and state of the art facilities. PM me for information on this program too. Its quite easy to get a job in the industry if you graduate from there since the Camaro is being built accross the street from them.

If you’re also considering university consider Windsor university. they have a mechanical engineering program that has an aero/auto option for aircraft engineering and automotive engineering. its a good program considering they have co-op programs to detroit, ford, and toyota.

Yeah, I looked into all those programs already, I want to get my OYAP done first though, cuz I want to make money to actually pay partly for uni, so I’m probably heading to centennial first.

try looking into the reserves , 30k to start
forces.ca . look up material tech, avn mechanic, or automotive mechanic
you might like what you see

actually according to the law you cant do brakes, suspension or anything safty related and invoice a customer for it.

obviouly that doesnt stop anyone but if something ever happens and it comes back on you your going to be seriously up the creek.

You need money for tools, and experience and reputation is what you need to get customers :stuck_out_tongue:

mobile dynamics is a car audio program… they have one week where they show you a little bit of motorwork but it’s not much. If you’re into car audio stuff… go for it. I’ve taken their program… it was fun.

Jon

Mobile dynamics sounds really interesting. Its not too far away from my house either. My question is after graduation would there be good jobs out there in the
car audio field? I know there’s best buy and future shop and stuff…but I’m not too sure if its really something i can live off.

Opinions?

thers always trying to apply at customs on wheels.and other customizing shops around ontario. just gotta find them. or restoration shops.

hey smitty, I am currently taking Centennial College Automotive technology. I am just finishing up my last year. I really recommend taking it, as it is a very good introduction to automotive technology and the industry. It is a 2 yr program and it is not related to apprenticeship so that is the only downfall if you plan on going into the industry fast. You will recieve a diploma upon graduation. The good thing is that this program will really give you a feel for what it would be like in the automotive industry as it teaches you the basic and advanced knowledge that will help you alot even if you choose not to become apprentice. Many will say this program is a waste of time, and to be honest if you already have alot of experience with cars and their systems you will find the program to be un-useful to you and you can transfer to the apprentice programs easily. There is half in class, and half hands on in Labs in the school and you get to overhaul engines, learn scan tools, and Weld with Mig and torch. Its a pretty interesting program. But it is not for everyone.

Depends where you are… around here usually best buy and futureshop is for sure. After you graduate, part of the program is that they will help you find a job. One of the guys in my class in nova scotia actually ended up getting a job doing the wiring for cop cars, lights, computer… everything… You’re really supposed to graduate work somewhere and then move up from there. From what I recall… bestbuy pays $10 or $12 /hr for car fi installer.

Jon