Common Legal Rumors?

[quote=“airhead,post:20,topic:36686"”]

If all my years of watching Cops has taught me anything, they never actually say no, they just confuse the stupid people and never really give a straight answer.

[/quote]

He is right. If you ask a cop if he is a cop, he can not say no. I know from workin in the bar, if cops come in or i think even state liquor authority people come in, you can ask them if they are cops or with the SLA and they have to say yes. You can even piss them off and expose them.

refusal to a breathalizer is bad. If you take the test and get charged with dwi more than likely if it is your first or second time they will just lower it to a dwai which is a traffic violation not a crime suspended lisence for a bit and thats about it and a hefty fine. refusal to do so automatic revocation for 6 months depending on how the dmv feels they may make you take your written and driver test again after your revocation and you still have to pay a shit load of fines

[quote=“boxxa,post:21,topic:36686"”]

He is right. If you ask a cop if he is a cop, he can not say no. I know from workin in the bar, if cops come in or i think even state liquor authority people come in, you can ask them if they are cops or with the SLA and they have to say yes. You can even piss them off and expose them.

[/quote]

police do not have to admit to being police officers. undercover work would not exist if they did.

[quote=“92slowcivic,post:23,topic:36686"”]

police do not have to admit to being police officers. undercover work would not exist if they did.

[/quote]

There must have to be some kind of investigation going for them to deny it then, for example: Brian Earl Spilner infiltrating “the gang” vs. some lady cop dressing up as a hooker to pick up johns.

well, if they are under cover, wouldn’t that be an investigation?

Wow, all this confusion over whether or not to take a sobriety test, I got a better solution: don’t fucking drink and drive.

you guys sound like you do it all the time.

[quote=“AJC2500,post:26,topic:36686"”]

Wow, all this confusion over whether or not to take a sobriety test, I got a better solution: don’t fucking drink and drive.

you guys sound like you do it all the time.

[/quote]

:headbang: True.

Bet it’s less than 10 posts later that someone calls you “holier than thou” or a “righteous prick” or similar for calling drunk drivers fucking retards.

[quote=“92slowcivic,post:25,topic:36686"”]

well, if they are under cover, wouldn’t that be an investigation?

[/quote]

could just be a random sting?? I don’t think they necessarily need to be investigating anything, just looking for arrests?

Thats just my thoughts though.

Undercover cops DO NOT have to admit to being a cop. Now, this doesn’t have to do with undercover drug stings, but undercover prostitution.

If you by anychance want to know if the prostitute is a fake ask her to do a quick strip for you… a real prost. will show you everything…a cop…won’t

[quote=“Tjsz,post:22,topic:36686"”]

refusal to a breathalizer is bad. If you take the test and get charged with dwi more than likely if it is your first or second time they will just lower it to a dwai which is a traffic violation not a crime suspended lisence for a bit and thats about it and a hefty fine. refusal to do so automatic revocation for 6 months depending on how the dmv feels they may make you take your written and driver test again after your revocation and you still have to pay a shit load of fines

[/quote]

talk to any lawyer, they will always tell you to refuse the test

[quote=“sedlmeier101,post:29,topic:36686"”]

Undercover cops DO NOT have to admit to being a cop. Now, this doesn’t have to do with undercover drug stings, but undercover prostitution.

If you by anychance want to know if the prostitute is a fake ask her to do a quick strip for you… a real prost. will show you everything…a cop…won’t

[/quote]

If she looks even half way decent shes a cop :thankyou:

entrapment is when a cop makes an illegal offer to good to refuse and makes someone not looking to commit a crime commit one so they can make an arrest. like if your walking down the street and an undercover officer comes up and offers you a million dollars to sleep with them you cant be arrested for prostitution.

[quote=“slowtalon,post:32,topic:36686"”]

entrapment is when a cop makes an illegal offer to good to refuse and makes someone not looking to commit a crime commit one so they can make an arrest. like if your walking down the street and an undercover officer comes up and offers you a million dollars to sleep with them you cant be arrested for prostitution.

[/quote]

ugh that is not entrapment, close, but it is not, best example is do this crime or you will die then arrest you once you commit this crime

In the United States, widespread belief in the existence of laws against driving barefoot has been debunked as an urban legend.[9] Members of the Society for Barefoot Living wrote letters to the highway patrols of all 50 states and were told by officials in each state that driving barefoot was not illegal.

Here’s a legal rumor that I have no idea if it’s true:

If you plead guilty to your ticket, the state gets the money.
If you plead not guilty and they reduce it to a parking ticket, the town gets the money.

Is that true?

Under the 2004-05 budget approved by lawmakers in August, municipalities may no longer keep the fines from traffic convictions that have been pleaded down to non-moving violations. The change, effective immediately, is projected to cost local governments an estimated $12 million to $22.8 million a year. …

http://www.lib.jjay.cuny.edu/len/2004/09/

ughhh…

Cops do not have to admit anything to you

I can see that defense in court now.

“well, your honor, I asked him if he was a cop before I bought the weed and he told me no, so the charges should be dismissed”

This site says otherwise.

http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/

I think we can all agree.

[quote=“boxxa”"]

A few of us were talking at work about common police thing that people tell you are illegal but no one ever really knows for sure. Anyone hear of these and know which ones are true?

1. It is illegal to drive without a shirt and/or shoes

2. If you are drunk and get pulled over, your best chance is to deny the breathalyser and take the charge. I guess the logic behind this one is that in court, all the evidence on your record is that you denied it so its looked lighter on your record.

[/quote]

Refuse as long as you can, string them along while your liver does its’ magic. Just before they give up trying to scare you into it, consent. That way, with any luck and a good liver your level will have come down considerably. That’s what lawyers do when they get caught. Another ploy is to fake some illness or injury. Harder to pull off but may buy some time if you can get away with it.

^^^ if they have to take you to the hospital though, can’t they order a blood test at that point and get you that way?

it doesn’t seem like they should be able to, but I thought I remember hearing something like that happening to someone