Comparing Insurance companies..

Like the title says I’m trying to compare insurance companies. I’m looking for a non-bias review, such as consumer reports (but I don’t have an user name or password for their site).

I’m going to want to bundle my 3 autos and my home, but I not only want a good price, but I also want a company that will make me happy if something does happen.

Right now it seems that Geico’s home insurance is pretty high actually, plus I’ve never been completely happy with their coverage anyway.

I have what seems to be a really good umbrella policy (which will cover all my needs) through Fidelity, but I’m not sure how they are on coverage.

Does anyone know of a site which legitimately compares companies?

Personal experiences always vary, and even though I hate Geico, I still use them.

So go! Recommend me a site or rant about your personal insurance!

I have all-state

1 car insurance claim, and everything was great

it’s hard to compare. I tried reading reviews online, but people only post reviews when shit has gone downhill and they feel they need to complain. I tried asking co-workers. Everyone claimed their insurance was awesome, but nobody had ever put in a claim.

you just have to call around and make sure you’re comparing apples to apples…

I’ve had great experience with Liberty Mutual. I don’t use them for my personal auto insurance because they, and every other company, can’t touch geico’s rate for me, but I’ve dealt with them for homeowners claims and auto when I wrecked my sister’s Cobalt last year and the service was top notch. Had a real person come on-site and cut a check same day.

I have 2 rental properties and All State wouldn’t cover the one I didn’t live in, so I had to drop them. They also tried to raise the rates every year on my homeowners policy, so I wasn’t to pleased with that, but they had a pretty competitive rate when bundled.

I ended up going with Liberty Mutual after submitting some information on a website I cannot recall. A rep from West Seneca called me, ran a bunch of numbers and finally came to my house to sign the paperwork and take pictures of my car. I’ll give that service a thumbs up. Not to mention the prices on the bundle with a $1 million umbrella policy was pretty much what allstate would have charged me if they covered me without the umbrella.

I work in the industry and you get a pretty good feel for how companies handle their claims.

Allstate is widely considered evil in the industry and I would recommend staying away from them. Progressive usually has cheap rates for a reason, they nickle and dime on everything. State Farm has a pretty good reputation for being fair.

These are just the few I can think off the top of my head.

Everyone and their brother will tell you their insurance carrier is great or horrible based on claim experience. There are always exceptions for each company. If you live on the coast in a high risk area for storms, every insurance company hates you.

Price wise, Geico and Progressive tend to be lower and more technologically advanced. Generally State Farm seems to offer the best customer service, but is just getting on the ball for technology. Electronic policy purchasing and claims reporting.

FWIW, I stick with Progressive because it is cheapest for me. If money was no issue, I would go with State Farm for all my insurance. But right now, for just my auto for example, SF is 2x the cost of Progressive for the same coverage. However, Progressive has screwed me a couple of times and also been there for me a couple of times.

There is an old saying “you never know how good your insurance company is, until you have had a claim.”

QFT

Thanks guys, some solid advise.

I’m still searching for a more solid comparison, such as Consumer Reports / Edmund’s / JD Power’s etc.

As of right now I’m leaning heavily towards Fidelity, as they can cover my 3 autos, home and give me an umbrella policy for the same price as Geico wants for the cars and house.

I’ve only had one claim of my own through Geico, they low balled me on a totaled truck, but then again I’m paying lower rates for 5+ years so I’m saving money in the end. They also low balled the shit out of my wife’s family when they had a totaled out car. Oh well.

http://www.ins.state.ny.us/arkidx.htm

I know I’m not really a ‘non-bias’ source here considering I work for them…lol… But if you call GEICO (There actually Travelers Insurance Company policies, GEICO just sells and services the policy) and get a quote, have them quote you in the EIC department, its the other companies that we work with. Companies such as Assurant and Liberty Mutual and sometimes they can offer you a lower quote. We don’t currently have the Multi-line discount for New York but it is coming soon and it’ll save you 3% on you auto policy.

/\ hes in TX…

I had all-state, they where ok, I had state farm ,they where super fair when they wifey totaled a car, had progressive got hit by an all-state, fought BOTH companys to get a fair settlement on my car, then got dropped by progressive (for not taking there offer),

so ive tried a few… Im not sure what ill get next.

Oh lol, sorry about that… Texas does offer the Multi-line, plus we now offer a new pricing tier there called ‘Quantum’. Its more specific to the insured location so it will give you a more accurate price not just a general price.

Avoid Geico, Progressive, etc. They are high risk insurers and are likely going to end up boning you in the ass when you need them.

Get an agent, its worth the 40$ or whatever they charge so you dont have to deal with the bs

Looks like the best deal I can get is through Fidelity!

Check them out, they actually came in UNDER Geico for my auto policy too! Shitz
http://www.fidelityonline.com/Portal/

I’ve gone through the Wolf Agency on Big Tree Rd. Found me the best rate despite all the digging I did and going through an agency can sometimes be more.

My dad has used them for years with great success.
http://wolfagency.com/index.htm