Insurance company reviews

I know these threads pop up periodically, mainly surrounding costs. I’m looking for reviews this time around, specifically (for me) on progressive. I’ve been with Geico for the last 5 years or so, with fairly high coverage (300/300 bodily injury, 100 property, 100/300 supplemental uninsured) and overall I’ve been happy. Had an accident a few years ago and they were great to deal with, english speaking reps were great (I think they were in buffalo) as compared to an awful experience with Allstate (call to file a claim, routed straight to India. At the time I thought I was buying Allstate through an agent for the “personal touch”… live and learn I guess.)

Anyways, progressive quoted me over $100 less every 6 months for the same coverage. Called Geico and the immediately dropped nearly $40/6 months. Can anyone tell me what its like dealing with them when shit hits the fan? Is it worth the ~$150 to pay for english speaking / Buffalo reps?

I guess its about costs anyway. Oh well.

edit: before it’s asked, yes I’ve spoken to Rob about a quote.

I have Progressive and have been very happy with them. Currently have 9 cars, a snowmobile, and 2 trailers. No issues at all and they had the best price with extremely good coverage on everything.

Use to have liberty now all state, best decision I’ve made in a while.

Over the years I’ve had American Family, Allstate, Progressive, Geico, and now Liberty Mutual. I’ve never had problems or any complaints except with Allstate, which sucked on all fronts. I’ve had claims with Allstate (horrible) Geico (excellemt) and LM (excellent).

Allstate kept giving me problems with insurance on investment properties…switched to liberty mutual who have been better and haven’t hit me with wild increases like Allstate. LM is a real pain on vacant properties so I’m trying out foremost on a trial basis.

From the auto coverage end I have had no real problems. Allstate did decide to fix my wife’s 2007 sentry with ~130k on it and ~10k in damage in 2012…not sure why they did that

I have geico paired with liberty mutual for the house. No complains at all, great prices too.

I was with geico for probably 10 years. I switched to state farm for 1 year untill out of nowhere they jacked up the price and wanted over $500. Went back to geico with 300k/500k full everything on the ss for $306 6 months.

I’ve got Progressive on my boat and sled. Had a claim on the boat (blown outdrive) where the marine surveyor called me and said “Oh yeah, I can see the bent main shaft, it was definitely impact damage and will be covered”. When he got back to the office and found out it was a $7800 claim his manager says “go take a 2nd look and really make sure it’s impact damage”, then tried to claim it wasn’t impact damage. After some threats and asking how it was going to look at arbitration with the NY insurance board when a licensed marine surveyor says it’s impact damage only to have his paper pushing manager who never even looked at claim maybe it wasn’t they caved and covered it. Definitely not the best customer service in that case but since they did pay out I haven’t bothered switching.

We had a claim with Progressive when someone insured with them rear ended my wife’s SUV. That went perfectly smooth and the claim rep was really nice.

Geico on our cars for 7 or 8 years and nothing but good things to say about them. I’ve dealt with their claims and roadside assistance people and they were great. In fact when I had Rob quote me homeowners I refused to even look at rolling auto with it because even if I could save a little it’s just not worth it with the service I’ve received from Geico.

If you’re shopping around definitely PM Rob @BOBBYGRV

@Geehee I do rep. Progressive also. IF you decide to go with them, you could always put me on as your broker and I can handle anything that comes up or any questions rather than you having to deal with a 1-800 number. Ask @JayS about that. He had a dilemma and I was able to pretty much take care of it for him without him having to do too much on his end with the company.

Yeah, Rob was a huge help with all the bullshit Travelers gave me with my roof.

Also, I will say this because it has come up recently. The difference between an agent and broker is that as a broker, we work for you, the customer. As an agent, they work for the insurance company. We both get paid the same commission, but who do you think has your best interest in mind? I have had a lot of people lately tell me that using a broker has cost them more money because it’s another person to pay. We actually negotiate lower rates with the company so that we can be competitive and when I send it out to all my companies, they usually like to compete for me to see who can get the best rate.

^ True story. Rob got me better coverage for less money than the quotes I got myself for good homeowners coverage.

no shit Rob, I didnt know you did progressive and I thought the initial quote you gave me on the car side of things wasnt near what i am paying with geico…

I’ll make sure to double check with you before I do anything.

GEICO is consistently the lowest price and by far the best customer service, and easiest website to use.

What I love about GEICO is I can impulse purchase a car, call them on a Saturday at 4 a.m., and they’ll get me coverage instantly.

I’ve had a few claims with them and they were not only efficient, but they were delightful to deal with.

Geico was the cheapest for the best coverage available. 500/250. I’ve never had to use them, but I pay something along the lines of $700/year, which is insane…considering I was paying over $1500 & $1800 through two companies for the longest time. (Progressive/Central Mutual).

I have separate policies (not with Geico) for my homeowner’s/umbrella.

My future brother-in-law owns an Allstate agency where my girlfriend is an agent. They still can’t touch my Geico policy.

I only have auto insurance and was with State Farm for 7 years. Never had a claim with them besides a cracked windshield but they were great. Then I checked out Geico and they were half the cost for the same coverage since my insurance didn’t go down when I turned 25 with a clean record. I’ve had Geico about three years and my last three bills (18 months of time) have slowly increased for a $100 total raise in premium with only one claim of a different windshield with Geico. So I’m currently shopping and waiting to hear back from bobbgrv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liberty Mutual for 5+ years and very happy, switched from Allstate (never again, terrible). 3 cars, house, snowmobile and up until recently a boat. 250/500 coverage best rates by far.

USAA

Add another to the list of happy Geico customers. I used state farm through my family until I went to college, then switched to Geico for a while. After college I temporarily used All State for a year since their price beat Geico’s but then went back after I moved into another apartment in a different area which brought higher rates from All State. Made 2 claims last year through Geico and they were painless and a breeze to get done.

I have the Hartford through an independent agent. Not the cheapest deal in town but anytime I need anything, my agent takes care of everything.

My wife had geico before we got married and got in an accident. They made her do all kinds of legwork getting police reports and what not and were not very helpful. They told her she had to physically go get the report. The police told her usually they’ll just fax it if they insurance company calls them. Maybe it was just that one agent from Geico but that was enough to get her to switch to my guy and never look back.