computer crashing with new 3d card

i bought a new 3d card (BFG Geforce 8600 GTS OC) and i can not get it to work. after the windows loading screen appears the computer crashes and restarts but the 3d card wont display anything to the monitor after it starts back up again. i have to plug the monitor back into the old port in order for it to work. i meet all the requirements for it. i have been trying to call tech support but there is always a long wait for someone to answer. i downloaded the updated drivers from the internet too. i have no idea what to do

Did you uninstall the old drivers for the old card first?

yes its disabled and everything

seems like it can be several things. The chipset on the card conflicts with the chipset on your mb. Is this a PCIe card? What system do you have? HP? DELL? Home Build?

what power supply are you running? How many times have you tried re-booting?

I remember having a similar issue to yours when I last upgraded my video card. It was still trying to read off of the onboard port for some off reason, even though the startup screen was displaying from the new card.

what was your old card? or was it onboard? if it was onboard, try shutting it off in your bios

^ Most new cards require pretty beefy power supplies as well. Hope you have more than 300wts

its the PSU. you need alot of amps on the +12 volt rail. look into it.

Min requirement for the BFG Geforce 8600 GTS OC is 325watts, so I’m sure he has plenty. There isn’t an additional power connector for that one either.

Boot using your onboard video, remove the internet drivers you downloaded (possibly conflicting, causing it not to boot), re-install with drivers from the box. Reboot & disable onboard video in the bios, reboot, swap the cable over to your new video card (from what I saw its dual dvi no vga right?). See if it boots then.

i upgraded my power supply to a 400w one so thats not the problem. i didnt have an actual 3d card b4, it was an onboard one.

the reason i downloaded the drivers from the internet is because i was having trouble with the cd. everytime i went to install the drivers off of the cd it would say some was not compatible or along those lines but my computer meets all the requirements for the new card. and yes the new card is dual DVI but it comes with VGA to DVI adapters

When you install the software it said not compatible? Can you get the exact error, that could be the problem right there, I’m not sure why, cuz when I checked the requirements for it, they weren’t that demanding.

Probably a driver not windows validated or whatever that bs is (nvidia divers show that message AFIK)

go into your device manager and delete your display adaptor which it’ll probably want to reboot. When you reboot, go into your bios (probably F1 or DEL) and find the entry for the onboard video and shut it off. You should be good to go after that

got it working, i had to disable it in the bios.

man bioshock looks sweet now thx for the help guys

[quote=“Dr.Stevil,post:11,topic:34346"”]

Probably a driver not windows validated or whatever that bs is (nvidia divers show that message AFIK)

[/quote]

no it was not that, this error would stop the installation

ok well sill having some trouble. i started the computer up again this morning and again nothing was being displayed to the screen. i restarted the computer about 6 times in order for it to start displaying.

so maybe i didnt disable it in the bios the right way. where would i find the onboard card in the bios?

Usually an option like “advanced BIOS features”

Try re-seating the card, and then try running a test on the memory of the card

(http://bcmdiagnostics.com/bcm-test-modules.htm#graph) should work

The problem may also lie with the LCD, are you using analog or DVI?
If you’re trying DVI and its looking for analog…something like that could be responsible.

i am using a VGA to DVI adapter cause the card only has DVI ports and an s-video port.

is there a way to test that u dont have to pay for it

ok i am back again this the problem.

it was working fine for a week or 2 but once again the computer will not start correctly with the 3d card in. i went to BB today and exchanged it for a new one thinking that maybe there was something wrong with the card but that didnt work.

here is what happens when i start the computer. when i press the power button, the cd drive keeps making this buzzing noise before it starts up (never did that before). when the drive makes that noise i know that the 3d card will not display anything cause it never does. it will only display something when it does not make that buzzing noise. i can however unplug the monitor from the 3d card and plug it back into the onboard VGA port and the monitor will work.

i am just about ready to give it to some computer repair place and have them fix it cause im getting annoyed with this. the card does not even feel warm to me i dunno if it is not working or the fan is just keeping it really cool?

unplug the cdrom and try it

gotta start somewhere.

but when the card is not in there it does not make that noise and starts up fine