Computer freezing issues...

Ya, maybe I’ll just pick up a small, cheap, new HDD to house the OS… that should solve that problem for a while hopefully.

What I don’t get is this… and hopefully someone here knows the real answer.

If this is causeing my random freezing… what makes it just sit there frozen for hours upon hours on end but not shut down since it houses the OS? I’ve never understood that.

correct.

Spinrite kept one of my drives alive for 2 extra years, however :slight_smile:

toss me a PM, I may have it somewhere. It just goes on a floppy, you boot up and just hit a couple buttons and it scans for hours and hours, checking and fixing.

Or, just go to newegg.com and just pick up a new 80GB drive for around $50. Or, a 300 for $100.

As long as your computer isnt too old, it shouldnt have a problem seeing the large drive. Otherwise, you’re stuck with 136GB as your max. Check for a BIOS update for your motherboard.

Once you get the drive, I can also toss you a bootable GHOST so that you can just copy everything and it’ll be identical, just with more extra space. Its an exactly duplicate created by the program. Works like a charm every time (As long as those bad sectors dont get in the way)

I’ll discuss that with you when we get there.

I have all the fun little goodies. So useful, they are.

Ya, I’ll shoot you a PM to get Spinrite if you have it available.
The computer isn’t old at all actually. I built it late 2004. It has a new Vid card that I got recently plus the new 320GB HDD I use as the second HDD. 1GB ram. It’s pretty up to date. I’m sure I’ll do an overhaul at some point at the end of this year probably early next year.

EDIT How come when I ran the Windows error checking on the hard drive it didn’t pick anything up? It said that it passed which I presume means that it didn’t see anything wrong.

Well, spinrite will definitely determine if it is infact the hard drive causing your lockups. We shall see.

are you overclocking at all?

Nope… no reason to.

should have spent 1700, and you would have had a sweet monitor too. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to try SpinRite when I get home. Hopefully things work out good.

I have a sweet monitor, vid card, HDD, ram, proceessor… didn’t spend nearly $1700… but of course mine isn’t dual core. I should try making my monitor sideways… see if it’s worth it. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have SpinRite running at home now (awesome product!)… has been running since last night. It has found two un-recoverable bad sectors so it looks like that HDD may be on it’s last run. I may just let the program finish running to see what else it finds… it’s doing such deep analysis that it still has a bunch more to go.

Looks like I’ll be throwing the 40GB that I have sitting around in to install XP to it. I’ll post up the final results when it finishes just incase anyone is interested.

To close the thread out here is what has happened.

Clean Baldy saved the day by getting me spinrite to show the 2 bad sectors that were on the hard drive and he got me Ghost as well to copy my hard drive to a blank one that I had stopped using.

It’s running good so far… thanks BALDY!! THANKS A CRAP LOAD!!!

EDIT WTF… it froze again. I don’t get it… that should’ve fixed it. Maybe I’ll just do a restore after all.

heh

go to the manufacturers website, and redownload and install ALL of the drivers for the motherboard and components…

It came down to re-installing Windows. Not a big deal to me… it takes no time to format and re-install. And go figure it’s running pretty good so far… alot better than it has anyways. :slight_smile:

update update update

if probelm persists, go to sisoft.com, and download sandra, it will give a very interesting diagnostic. Does it freeze and restart? you may have bad capacitors

I did I did I did…

No it didn’t restart. It just sat there. The problem has been fixed though. I’ll check your thing out when I get a chance though.

Same issues for the last couple weeks. Gone through just about everything except for re-installing Windows. I started SpinRite this morning. Should be done tonight. If it doesn’t find anything I’ll trty a motherboard monitor from Soyo… then I’ll re-install Windows. Hopefully that helps. UGGG!!!

:word:

Hard drive looks fine… CPU is running at a stead 45 degrees celcus. Trying some driver updates now.

you have to jerk it then delete it. haha j/k

beats me, but I wish you luck :gotme:

:lol: nice…

Ya, I’m going to format… delete the partition… and start over with Windows tonight. crossing my fingers