COMPUTER GEEKS ASSEMBLE - worth it to fix this pc or just buy a new one?

Aight heres the deal.

I am working on trying to fix Oroc’s home desktop.

Its a decent emachines. athlon 2800, 512 mb ram, 120GB HD, dvd, cd rw, nvidia geforce 4 video, card reader, etc etc.

Nothing spectacular but still a good pc for just basic home internet use.

With the help of fellow nerd rub u i cant i am pretty positive the motherboard took a shit.

basically when you plug in the power cord, the processor fan kicks on automatically but nothing else happens. the power indicator light on the front of the case stays yellow and nothing happens when you hit the power button.

tried a good power supply, same thing.

tossed the HD into my computer and fired it up and she started right up so HD is good.

so yeah, like i said the Motherboard is prob :poop:

my question is, would it be worth it to put a new replacement board in for him or should he just go out and spend a few hundo on a new system all together?

I would hate to toss away an otherwise good system, esecially since there is so much stuff on the hd that he wouldnt wanna lose, though im sure you could xfer that stuff over.

what do you guys think, whats the best place to look for a replacement mobo for an Emachines T2825 desktop?

spanx in advance for your help :tup: :suckoff:

are you hooking up poth por plugs?? I had replaced the PS in one of my machines, and thought the mobo took a shit, but i realized it had 2 poer plugs that needed to be connected. Kinda retarded that i missed that!

if he gets a new one, give the old one to me

what plugs? no speako el englisho? :smiley:

and junky ill be sure to do that, after i strip it down to nothing :lol:

DOH!!!

A random new motherboard from newegg is around $30 for that processor, just get it.

The only thing that might not work is the card reader, so tell him to go buy a $10 from walmart.

Does it give you any POST codes (Beeping on power up)

Could try the following:

Disconnect everything from the motherboard
-Pull the bios battery
-Reseat the CPU, memory, and video-card only
-If your motherboard is equipped with any jumpers/dip-switches make sure they are properly set for your CPU/memory combination.
-Put the BIOS battery back in.
-Connect all power cords
-See if the computer will power on with nothing connected but a monitor

If that works connect everything one-by-one.

If it still doesn’t work sell the CPU to me, and buy a new CPU/mobo combo. :slight_smile:

Given what it is used for chances are it will be much cheaper to repair it as it wouldn’t need to be upgraded for a loooooooong time for that purpose.

Thanks Fuzzmeister.

No beeping. It doesnt do dick. Im gonna just get a new mobo and give it a whirl.

i think emachines uses weird cases… so make sure the mobo will fit

remember when buying a mobo… look for the socket of the processor… make sure it can support the ram you already have… the video card (is probably agp) make sure you don’t get PCIe x16 if it is agp. jsut make sure all the parts will be compatible

how bout the green light on the mb itself, that tells u if its getting power.

No lights at all Buick. The more i look into it, the more positive i am its the mobo. Apparently a very common problem on these.

Anyways i found this MB on newegg…

this should work with the processor that this machine has right? its a socket A board. thanks for your help guys.

Just to make sure did the original mobo that came with that computer have integrated graphics or was it a seprate card?

Asides from that, should be perfect as I couldn’t imagine too many expansion cards in it.

if you dont get a mobo the same as the original… have fun calling microsoft for a new product key. Atleast try to make sure the chipset is the same… else the recovery discs will not work… windows will instantly crash when loading.

yeah fuzzy the video is integrated. how can i check what chipset i have?

If it has a diffrent chipset you just do a repair install…

I told you mike get a hold of the old mobo today I will see what I have at work…emachines eat mobos.

Make sure you looks at lenth and width of the new board also…I got a matx board that was half a inch to long before…for a emachine.

yeah its an AU31 :gotme:

I’d just say get a video card, you could easily find a shitty used PCI card that would easily match that of the integrated video . Or if you want a 3D card for light gaming action. I have an old GeForce4 ti4800 (Wouldn’t run battlefield 2 :() that I want $25 for that I just stopped using, and I think Jack has a ATI 9800pro still that could be had super cheap.

I also have a bunch of shitty PCI/AGP cards laying around. From ATI128s to Matrox G200s for $5.

And I’m sure many others have stuff they would give away also.

Really no point in finding one with built in video, as built-in video = the suck for the most part.

thanks man but really we could care less about the video. yeah integrated is the suck but for getting online doing some emailing and hitting a few websites who cares if theres integrated video, there will be no gaming or similar apps being run on this piece. i think im just gonna get that mobo put it all back together and hope it runs. the only thing i might do is get an additional stick of 512 ram to speed things up a bit.

thanks guys i appreciate all the help

Oh I’m a tard I didn’t realize that one you posted had built in video already. XD