computer gurus

which is better

ubuntu or gentoo

i think i am going to try to learn these while i am home over the holidays

fedora > all distros

well what are you trying to do? Do you just want an alternative to windows? cause both of those OS’s I would not even consider linux. i mean it works, but its to fruity for me

fruity lol?

use ubuntu…it’s easy to catch on to and it works pretty well…i’ve ran fedora, ubuntu, kubuntu,debian,suse…they are all ok

GUI linux just sucks… Its just worthless IMO.

well for a home user your going to need GUI otherwise its just plain boring. But now X server in all linux distros or GUI whatever you want to call it looks soooooooo much nicer now and with all new features. Its making its way into a user friendly operating system. But you can stil drop to a command prompt at any time.

centOS if you want pretty colors… i use redhat AS (rhel4-u4).

Are you trying to learn hardcore OS type stuff or just drive a GUI and configure e-mail accounts, surf, etc. or somewhere in between?

trying to learn other OS’s

linux is linux. Pick the most popular one and mess with it. the commands are basically the same across the board and almost every package can be added to any distribution. the only real difference is what comes with the distribution initially, which noone sticks with if you want to learn about it. redhat or fedora are probably the most pouplar ones, so either one of them would be my choice.

There is some truth to “not all linux is the same linux under the covers”. SUSE uses different library paths than RH for some shared libraries and shared object files. But that only affects developers/installation developers, not the sys admin usually unless they’re writing c/c++ code and compiling it for multi-linux-OS’.

Based on slow’s answer, I’d say pick one and start hacking on it to learn. If you have any questions, post’em up. There’s got to be more than one linux operator/sysadmin on this board that would be willing to help.