Computer Help...

well this problem never persisted with windows 98, but for some reason… with windows XP, my sound is all messed up… first off my sound would work through my speakers on my monitor (monitor/speaker combo) only after reformatting the CPU, and then installing Windows XP Professional… then once i shut down the computer, and start it back up… NO SOUND… i have recently installed a new sound card… but now my speakers do not work on my monitor. But sound does work, if i plug in headphones on the back of the tower, plugged into the new sound card slot. also now with the new card… i get this LOUD screeching noise thats goes on and off through my speakers on my monitor… i dunno why… any help would be greatly appreciated… thanx in advance…
kevin

I have to ask - are the speakers on your monitor plugged into the same port that you get sound from on your headphones?

well 1st off… its a windows computer… this is a weird situation…

your comp is prolly sending out the sound to the wrong spot if that
is even possible… idk if there are like sound settings, but id check it out.
did this happen out of nowhere or did u never have sound with this setup?

reformatting the CPU eh? I’m amazed that didn’t solve your problem.

shocked me as well, its weird b/c it works when i reformat it to XP, then after i shut down… it no longer works…

make sure everything is plugged in right. then update drivers. if it were me, i would go into device manager and delete the sound card from the list. then restart your computer. When it restarts, it will see the sound card as a new device and go ahead and reinstall it.

Go into your device manager,any exclamation points?

What kind of soundcard did you install?

Try a different set of speakers,they might have died.

try plugging the monitor speakers into the same port you used when you tested it with headphones. the card is likely working if you can hear it with headphones.

check for errors in device manager and i hope the monitor speakers are shielded against interference. definately get the latest driver’s from the website of the soundcard manufacturer regardless.

PEBKAC?

i cant the speakers are, mounted right to the monitor… and the monitor has only one plug coming from it…

also… no exclamation points in the device manager…

:cry:

Didn’t anyone else catch this???

There has to be an audio plug coming from your speakers. The monitor cable will not supply sound to them.

yeah man, sureshot is right…ur missing something here man. there HAS to be a plug that goes into ur sound card or else, well, u wasted ur money buying a sound card. like i said, be absolutely sure that everything is plugged in right.

never been like that before… theres only on plug coming from the monitor…

:lmfao:

lol…

Something has to power the speakers,you should have like 4 cables total,maybe 3.

VGA cable
Power Cable for monitor
Audio cable (goes from speakers to sound card)
Speaker Power cable.

well yea, i do have a total of 4/5, too lazy to check for sure, but what i dont get is that there is a plug for the sound, and i plug it in to the appropriate socket/color, but there is nothign like that on the sound card??? im maybe guessing, that i have to run a wire inside the tower from the original place where the sound is, to the new sound card… that sound right…???

Here’s an idea - take a pic of the back of your computer and post it.

what kind of mother board? Was the sound onboard before you installed the new card? I know I just had a problem with mine… I had to set some jumpers on the Mobo and do some stuff in the BIOS to turn it on/off.

buuuut, if you said that you got sound from headphones, I HIGHLY doubt that it’s not working… you must have something not hooked up correctly

some sound cables will connect to the monitor cable and run inside them… but will pop out again at the other end…

or… just go buy some decent speakers