Connect Network Registry

K, so I have a bum PC I’m working on. It is doing that thing where you try to login to XP, and it immediately logs you out.

I’ve been lead to believe that if I hit the registry from my Vista machine I can solve the problem. Problem is, I can’t get the XP machine on the network… cause I can’t login. Is this only an option for PCs that have been on the network before they got all fcked up?

Anyone ever actually run into this and solve it? I’ve messed with the usaupdater.exe garbage you find on google, no luck there.

next step would be pulling the HD and backing up his crap, and doing a fresh install, but I’m trying to avoid that because I don’t have the resources to do it correctly right now.

Thanks.
Jack

Start it in safe mode?

Repair the current install from a WinXP disk?

Safe Mode requires login… no go.
Repairing will be my last effort, I’ve had problems with those in the past.

you can make an UBCD4win cd on a working computer, then use the remote registry editor there to fix it. It’s usually a userinit problem it should be set as userinit.exe and viruses set it as something else.

edit: you may also have to copy the userinit.exe file from the ubcd4win cd. it’ll be in (cd letter):\i386\system32\

http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2113085/998420/

That’s my torrent. You can boot into the CD and edit the registry. We did it at work when a company came in and accidentally removed the Ctrl+Alt+Delete feature on a computer, preventing us from logging in.

You can also use ERD Commander it will mount a windows install and let you use regedit and various other tools

Thanks guys. I’ll report back with what works