XP Problem - Won't Startup

Last night I was moving my computer around, after getting it all hooked back up, I started it up, it rebooted and was in Windows when I knocked the power strip and shut it off. When I tried to restart, as soon as the “starting winblows XP” screen came up it would just reboot. None of the options (even safe mode) would boot.

I have some stuff I’d rather not lose (again) so I was planning on just “installing” a fresh copy of XP over the old one, then hopefully backing up all of my old info, creating a fresh partition to throw another fresh system on after I’ve gotten everything I wanted.

Any problems with that, better methods? Ideas on how to fix my XP?

Thanks

reset the power management settings

You might have a bad Power supply… I would check that first. Not having too good of luck with your comp-nerd stuff, are you?

The PS should be ok if it shows the WinXP splash screen.

power managment settings?

try booting in safe mode, when it restarts hit f8 a whole bunch of times, see if u can get that to work. power management settings hes refering to are prolly in the bios settings page

Not necessarily…

If one of the voltage rails was not providing enough power, when certain drivers are loaded for peripherals, it will hang the system.

I’d have to agree with Rubicant. I had power issues with my new PCIe16 card. It needed a direct power feed from the PSU. If I did not connect this, the Splash screen would appear and the PC would restart

I was having the EXACT same problem, Walter.

turned out ot be a loose wire in the case… try going thru it, maybe something got bumped.

None of the options (even safe mode) would boot.

:touchy:

Maybe you should take your computer and shove it up your ass.

bitch.

lol

no alerts from the CMOS?

i had the same problem when i moved to my new aparment, pc acts normal during bios but right b4 you see the windows splash screen it would just reset all by it self, if i try safe mode it shows the dir of drivers loading but after a few seconds i would do samething and reset. i remove all the volt mods clear everything remove everything, and the problem was the HDD, try a diff one

don;t know how but now my raid 0 is broken and am fuck, lol

could be a whole bunch of shit walter, drivers, bad PS, bad cables.

check PS first, then i would try to get some updated drivers.

Drivers? Nothing changed aside from me hitting the power switch. I suppose one could have been corrupted, hence me wanting to just throw an overlay copy of XP on to see if it helps.

Both HDs are brand new an in a RAID array.

Maybe your computer likes the blue jays, not the yanks or red sox

Your baseball jokes are tired… At least make fun of Walter for photographing himself nude… :touchy:

Ouch, almost sounds like you let the smoke out of something. I’d start by pulling all but the most absolutely necessary hardware (mobo, proc, ram, vid) and seeing if I could get it to boot. You’re not OC’d are you? If so, turn that shit back down. Got access to a mobo or ps you could swap in to test?

There’s only one way to find out but I’d half expect that reformatting would net the same results or hang during install.

Good luck. I hate computers.

try a next drive, give it a shot, the last thing i was thinking of was hDD, but it was/
\edit if you didnt already

if a driver is trying to load and its corrupt it will not boot, i see it all the time here, and it sucks because its the last thing i always think of.

worth a shot anyways.

u could always try fdisk /mbr

or fixmbr in the recovery console.

windows recovery console… checkdsk