Unstable Win XP

New system. Basically just a fileserver. I’m running into a problem that has me beat.
With no app’s running windows will flash a BSoD then auto-reboot. Mind You, this is with no app’s running, just the standard 30 something processes (ugh). No particular time interval or anything.

There is plenty of airflow, not much heat anyhow.

Everythings New:
XP Sp2
Abit KV7 board (133mhz bus)
1.85g AMD Athlon XP
160 gigs of hdd
768mb ram pc2700
McAfee Firewall & VScan

No extra drivers installed, but they are all updated (as of 2 nights ago).
No glitches running Steam, Bitlord, IE, Belarc, and so on. No other programs really installed (other then Nero, ATI, whatever the ide hardware came with).

Annnnnnnnoying.

:help:

-Nick

And after what software or hardware installed did it start to BSOD?

HD making any noises?

Did you build the machine? Make and model?

Can you make it to Safe mode (F8)?

I assembled it.

There were no hardware changes. Only drivers uploaded from OEM cd’s.

The system runs & operates fine… for a random period of time.

With Windows running and nothing else happening (except background svcs of course) the thing will be A-OK fine & dandy “idling” for 5 - 45 minutes, then the monitor will click off -> flash a brief (1/4 second) BSoD -> reboot itself -> Load the OS and sit idle again.

No obvious changes in the operation of Hdds, CPU, software. No error messages or event logs.

:gotme:

maybe a power setting in CP? trying to activate a sleep mode and cant spin down the HD?

hmmm, didnt think of that. will check when I get home. - I set it up as “always on” with on the the monitor powering down after 20 mins (which works fine lol).

I’ll have to pay closer attn to the timeframes though, as I do believe it was fairly random.

I keep troubleshooting in my head and I keep coming back to a bad driver. I’ve removed any extra drivers I had. Now only the vid card driver, usb card reader driver, DVD/CD driver, and mobo drivers are installed.

It’s annoying as piss to lose a 400mb file transfer, or have a file running over the home network be cutoff out of nowhere. lol

Got a decent power supply in it?

yah.

Think I’ve got her nailed. I had the ram running too high for the mobo. played in bios and she’s been running for ~18 hours straight.

thanks