Couple problems.

I have a couple problems with my Spec V that I wanna deal with before I start modding it.

1. Sometimes the car won’t start on my first crank of key. Not really that big of a deal as I just stop cranking wait couple secs then try again and has never not started on the second crank… More of an annoyance than anything. << With this one I’m just looking for a quick fix if anyone knows of one otherwise I’ll just live with it.

2. My gears are acting up on me again. Again it’s my 2nd to 3rd shift that grinds though not nearly as often or as badly as it was before I put in redline tranny oil. But also, now my reverse is doing it to me. Sometimes (not every time and not rarely either) when I go to shift into reverse it feels like it’s popped in but when I let off the clutch… low and behold the eeeeeeeeee of death… Most times I can feel when it doesn’t pop in properly and I just cycle thru a couple gears, let the clutch out in neutral and then try again and it works properly. But there’s those times when it feels like it’s in reverse but it’s not. Also sometimes when I go to shift into reverse it grinds alil with the clutch all the way to the floor.

I wonder if I shouldn’t just buy a stage 1 clutch kit or something. Though that won’t fix the problem if my syncros are buggered eh.

#1. Fuel pump. Prime it for a couple seconds and you should be fine. I do the same thing and it starts on the first crank every time. Also, the brand of engine oil you use also helps. I found that Mobil1 5W-30 works the best and the engine runs and starts much smoother.

#2. The reverse thing happens to me also, I just quickly shift it into 4th or 6th and go back into reverse with no problems, it is just our notchy trannys. I also found that Motor Mounts also improved the smoothness of shifting, they are cheap and easy to install. Get a set if you have not already.

For crunching in reverse, just put it in first and let the clutch out just enough to move the car an inch. Then put it in reverse. Works every time.

My car did the cranking thing until Ericksen replaced my fuel pump under warranty.

Thanks guy good to know it’s not just my bad shifting thats causing me problems.

yah fuel pump for the starter thing, its annoying but if you still have warrenty they would take care of that, but u have an 02 so im guessing not. and as per the reverse thing i’ve never encountered that so take those other guys advice!

I realize I don’t have a FWD, but I think it might help you…try a engine torque damper.
It keeps the engine from rocking quite as much and makes it alot easyer to find the proper gear and helps it slide in with less resistance. very similiar to the idea allready posted about the engine mounts, but only costs around $99 and take 10minutes to install!
I put one on my silvia and noticed a nice difference and have heard of others with all different platforms loving these things!

If your car is not under warranty any more find out how much a new fuel pump is and then get back to me, I have a new one at my house (from my car, but it is literally almost brand new) and we could try to work out a price, but yeah it is definatelly your fuel pump, I have had 3 new ones.

grinding, get a mossy short shift for the forward gears and maybe a Revolution Autoworks Engine Damper, or sum motor mounts (or fill them with a polyurathane and let it cure over night) or both. but in reverse yeah creep forward in 1st like a mm and then hit reverse I have an 04 with a JWT Clutch and Flywheel and I still have this, it is the syncros not lining up fully so going through a couple gears will line them up or just creepin forward a mm or like an inch. anyhow let me know if you need some assistance.

Update on issue #1. Couple times now it’s made that noise it makes when you try and crank the ignition when your car is on when the car isn’t on. Is that also to do with the fuel pump? I was able to find a fuel pump for 100$ + Shipping. Thats in the states though so it’s prob gonna be 160ish $ after conversion… Tried calling parts places but they were all closed… I’ll try again tomorrow.

the grinding sound when you try to start the car is your starter’s drive grinding against your flywheel. sounds like you either have low battery voltage or you ned a starter rebuild.