Spec V owners: Starting your car

Well, i know that some of you guys have had troubles starting your car, like that wierd hesitant start in the summer, and its even worse in the winter… (if you dont plug in your car, you wont have a chance). Ive heard some have gotten there Fuel pumps replaced, where did you guys get it done at because at west end nissan they said they didnt know anything about it? Im planning on heading to mills sometime this week, can anyone point me in the right direction?

I thought I remembered them going to Ericksen. Check there.

I heard there was some sort of recall for that.

I think this problem might have been linked to an ECU problem. Apparently Nissan lined the ECU box from the factory with some sort of foam that broke down and interfered wit the starting of the car. If it is that problem, there is DEFINATELY a recall associated with it.

I remember there were a bunch of guys that said they had weak fuel pumps as well, though, so you’d be best to have that checked out.

theres 1 recall on your car, and one “bulletin” related to the problem on your car.

the recall is the engine sensors - if i remembercorrrectly, theres a cam sensor, a crank sensor and a VTC sensor that needs to be replaced… im not sure if the vtc sensor needs to be replaced on the specs, but the 1.8L sentras do need to be changed.

the “bulletin” (its like a recall, but not) we have is about hard starting after a cold soak. basically what we do is pressure test your fuel lines, and make see if its holding pressure, and if not, we get you a new fuel pump. i havent done one in a long time, but usually we dont even test them anymore, we just replace. but yea, come to ericksen, we usually keep fuel pumps in stock. should be done all in the same day if we’re not too busy.

S14 hit it on the head.

Of the people I know who has one, this fix pretty much cured the problem. Make a visit to your dealer.

I’ve had ALL the recalls done on my car and the service has been done by Ericksen and yes, if you don’t plug your car in, pretty much SOL…but the cold hard start still persist…so i’m almost due for an oil change and i’m going to mention the issue again.

is there anything else that can cause this problem to keep occuring?

ONE other big thing also I noticed was, when I do a slow turn whether left or right,reverse slow accellerate, I hear this loud “humming” sound comming from the front…this gets worse around winter time and I first notice this when I first purchased this car and took it in to get it looked at, but could not find the problem. any of you guys know this? or at least have an answer?..thanks…sorry for the long post.

are you still on your original tires, or do u have winters?

if you have your performance all seasons on, rub your hand along the inside tread… if it feels like theres humps and doesnt really feel smooth, then your tires are cupping. you need new ones. might still be warrantable.

yeah i have winters on…it’s not rubbing…even when the wheel is straight it still makes that sound. so annoying.

okay sweet, thanks a lot s14, ill be sure to get that checked out, its annoying as hell. Almost like no use for my car starter cuz it never starts.

yay new fuel pump!

Hey man, I just started encountering the same problem. Mine is almost like a hum that comes when you;re starting off or turning from a stop etc.

I have no idea what this is? I thought it might be my clutch but I can’t imagine how it would make that sound?

I had a similar hum last year except it was one that you could feel in teh steering wheel and it only happened when going full lock on the wheel and letting the car move slightly. Nissan couldn’t find teh probelm and replaced my entire steering column. Seedm to fix it. The sound I’m hearing now is the same except I don’t hear it from teh steering column… seems to almost be the tranny or the clutch or something? But again I have no idea what it could be??

Have you done the BSR removal/motor mounts? (I assume you have, considering the performance of your car. :))

The reason I’m asking is because it could be harmonic vibrations from the engine/exhaust system. I know this sounds kind of silly, but I have a stock '76 Corvette, and at lower RPM’s and gentle throttle inputs, the motor develops enough harmonic vibrations to shake the rearview mirror as if a subwoofer were emitting a constant tone. That car can actually deafen you in rush hour traffic…no joke!

Plus, it looks like you’re driving a giant penis. :twisted:

i don’t know if this problem was resolved yet.
well i got my fuel pump replaced last summer (from mills)

happens every now and then…someone said something over on the v board about possibly the LSD or something…I dunno

As for driving a giant penis, well you can never have too much. :slight_smile:

As for the humming and such, I’ve done a little research where I’ve heard a few different explanations - none concrete yet. One was that it was a throw out bearing that needs lubrication, the other being it was the flywheel that was making this noise. On the vboard there are a ton of people who seem to be having this problem. I’m upgrading to the JWT flywheel/cltch assembly soon so I’m hoping this will rid me of the problem.

And yeah I do haev BS removal and motor mounts, so I know all about the vibration and harmonic stuff. It’s like I have the subs on bust sometimes when I hit certain RPM levels. But the hum I hear is a new thing.