cracked metal oil filter housing

I was driving home from the mall the other day and smelled oil coming from my 3 year old Chevy Cobalt… Somehow the fucking metal housing that the plastic cap screws into for the oil filter has developed a hairline crack, causing oil to seep out at an alarming rate while under pressure.

I don’t know what to do right now. I don’t think there’s a replacement part because the housing is cast into the aluminum engine block.

you should be able to jb weld it … its cast into the block…

Look like this?

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc291/1Bad67/Dirt%20Late%20Model/Mountain%20Motor/Nowyouseeit.jpg

You should have it welded.

Yeah, that gay thing.

liquid metal or JB weld will fix it temporarily at least, but you should have it welded

I used quicksteel to plug my supercharger’s silencer holes, and that held up well over the past 2 years, so I’ll probably just use that over JB.

The balt guys plug the silencer holes… GTP guys always just port them with the rest of the blower outlet. Its shitty that they cast the oil filter housing into the block. I always thought the were bolted on… WTF? Make sure it is very clean when you put JB on it. Keep the O-ring area smooth.

i have a titanium putty , its like jb weld but wayyyyyyyyyyy stronger is it cracked in the threaded area or below it ? that will help determin proper fixing

Yeah, but it’s on the outside too.

I put a layer of quiksteel over the outer portion of the crack. Let’s see what happens…

quicksteel to plug silencer holes… hmmm…

yea wayne it works pretty well

chris, how do you crack that… the cap itself is plastic just to prevent this from happening. due to the heat you will need that welded shut… govel welding can shut it for you

yea thats pretty scary you cracked it… you’re not supposed to tighten those with a pipe-wrench FYI.

I’m just going to take a road trip to the midwest and park in the middle of a field and have a tornado come and suck it away

I’m going to do the same only with my penis.

Road trip

I have a thing against riding in cars with people that think they have ADD.

Sorry.

wouldnt that be some type of warranty item? blocks shouldnt be cracking

Clean crack off, go get oil change, after oil change is performed blame them for cracking it.

/Thread

We’ll see. It should be, and GM’s powertrain warranty covers the block.

No, that would be fraud and is against the law.

They cover the block, but i bet if you tell them you did an oil change on it then they will say its your fault for over tightening it and its not covered