cracked metal oil filter housing

For the all time motherfuckin loss?

This.

Paying cash for your daily ftw :number1

Oh, GM won’t warrant the repair because of the fact that the car was in an accident. :lol

Bump.

So metal folks, what would be the best way to fix this? Heat up the quiksteel and wirebrush that off, and then fill the crack with weld? I have an appt @ Govel Welding Friday, and he said he is going to use a MIG to fix it if he can even get the thing down in there.

It’s cracked on the inside and outside, and at the top of the housing where the cap goes in. I’m looking for ideas on a permanent fix that will hold up as good as it did before the perforation formed. The last thing I want to happen is for the crack to grow or re-open and run out of oil while I am 200 miles away from home this weekend.

Any help would be appreciated! :slight_smile:

weling is the only option other than getting into another front end accident and sayin it happened from that

:rofl

YEAH SUBARUS ARE AWESOME

I guess what I should have asked was what is the best way to weld it? Just fill it with weld, use a patch, or what?

Just use tape.

:rofl

Just remember that squeak is a bearing. :lol

someone correct me if i’m wrong, but I would drill the end of the crack so it won’t spread further, then clamp the housing to draw the crack closed, then weld, then MAYBE plate over it to prevent it from opening back up in the future. I don’t have pics of where the crack is on the housing, but by the looks of the saturn i worked on yesterday, it aint gonna be fun.

Good luck man!

I’m ripping all of the SHIT out of the way that’s on top of the housing (supercharger, intake mani, assorted hoses and wires, etc) so the housing is right there in plain view to be worked on.

My quiksteel actually has been holding up! haha, I haven’t leaked a drop of oil and I put about 40 or so miles on the car since.

If for some reason George cannot weld it, I am going to fire up my oxyacetylene torch and braze it myself.

If that doesn’t work, I am going to take the engine out of the car and throw it into lock 7.

I better get my diving gear ready then :lol

Lets chain it to tdi’s pwc when he isn’t looking. Then tape it as he struggles to leave the dock

I spent the majority of my morning and afternoon tearing the car apart so that George could weld it. It was fine with the exception of a tiny leak from the cap. I replaced the cap (with a new o ring) and that part stopped, but the fucking casting started leaking again. :headbang

Fuck this car. There has to be a defect in this casting if even welding isn’t fixing it. Fuck GM and their foam cast cylinder blocks.

k20 swap