Crap... pre-inspection failboat

The wife’s truck needs an inspection tomorrow so I decided to give it a quick once over in the driveway.

Lights: Check
Horn: Check
Wipers: Check
Brakes: Check
Parking Brake: Check
Rear suspension tightness: Check
Front suspension/steering tightness: Uh oh… what’s this play in the front driver’s side wheel?

Outer tie-rod end on it’s way out. Guess it’s good I found it now and can fix it for < $30 as compared to the $100+ a shop would have charged me. Still not what I wanted to do on a Friday night.

tie rods usually wont fail a inspection at least not that ive ever seen, if your worried about that pm em and ill send you somewhere that dosnt make it a necessity to have a tight front

If they cause excessive wheel play they will…

x2

it’s always nice finding something wrong that you can fix before getting it inspected.
$30 fix > $100 shop fees.

Mr responsible waiting till the last possible day, shame shame.

yeah thats real safe. It always fails if it causes excessive play.

that sounds like the best idea yet!

avoid the situation in hopes that it will just go away!

seriously i understand your trying to help, but please dont.

Guys, come on, you should know by now I’m not going to “hope it passes” or take it to some shop that will let it slide. This is the Expedition that carries my baby girl to daycare and my wife to work every day. There was no play when I changed the shocks a couple months ago and there is play now, so it gets replaced. Probably a total deflection of outer tread of the tire +/- 1/4". I don’t know if that would fail according to NYS, but it fails according to my standards of having a properly maintained vehicle. The passengers side has zero play, the drivers side has play, clearly something is wearing out.

Just finished the job, not difficult at all and $29 for the “more expensive” one Advance had in stock. Probably would have been an easier job had I not put every ounce of my fat ass into tightening the adjustment jam nut before realizing it was reverse threads. When I finally tried turning it the correct way it come off surprisingly easily. Add in another 10 minutes wasted looking for my Haynes book for the torque spec for the main nut. (56-75lbs so I can just search here when the other one goes bad in a month) :lol:

Got me on waiting till the last minute. Throw the wife under the truck on that one though because she didn’t mention her inspection being up this month until last weekend when we were both out of town. First rule of politics; blame someone else. :wink:

Just noticed, original post at 8pm, this one before 10pm. Not bad for remove, reinstall, find lost manual, drive to the parts store and back, and stop at the Nissan dealer and give the new Murano a quick once over because it’s in the lead for possible replacements for the Expedition.

i wasnt doubting your work or the fact of you putting it out. i was just telling mr. speedped to keep his half-assed ways to himself. if you wanted to not fix it and get around it, im pretty sure the title of your thread would have been, "Where to find shop to…blah blah blah?

Glad everything worked out though, its a good feeling when everything goes as planned, isnt it?

did you drive down walck road in NT a little after 7pm today?

Yeah, it’s a good but rare feeling. No stuck bolts, stripped threads, seized parts, parts that break trying to get the bad parts out or other bad parts you find while replacing what you originally found wrong etc.

also the fact that its not -10 degrees out and snowing balls. iv had to crawl around in the snow many times fixing shit, the things i do for my car, geeze…

mmmm muranos are soo hot they are basically 350z suv’s

who said anything about a murano?
he has an expedition.

you are a idiot. tierods fail ball joints dont. you can fail it for ball joints though as the vehicle can not hold a alignment

tie rods LOL i dont know anyone who does inspections good luck

So what sort of advertising rates are you paying for that sig of yours?

i dont know what you are talking about

buuuuuusted…

I mentioned stopping to look at one as a replacement to the Expy on my way back from getting parts.