Credit Repair 101

[quote=“Willybeen,post:51,topic:26976"”]

Ill just have the credit union pull my old report from before and try to figure out where it came from. it says “medical expense … ~600 bucks” thats all they give me… and the only reason i know i exists is because I had a background check run on me for the new job and they uncovered it for me. :frowning: kind of embarrassing, even though its a mistake
:frowning:

[/quote]

You should definitely pull a detailed credit report from at least one of the three agencies. Your future employer should provide you with details surrounding the credit check, such as what company they used, etc, and you can just pull that one. It’ll state much more specific details regarding the disputed item… and in the extremely rare case that it doesn’t have details, you could have it removed very easily.

Once you have the information from the credit report, you’ll know who to contact regarding the error. First try to dispute the account with the CRA ( transunion / experian / equifax ) with the CRA’s online dispute system. Usually you can get a reply within a week or two. When you do this the CRA ( credit reporting agency ) is required to investigate the account’s validity, at which point it might even be removed and you wouldn’t have to worry about it ever agian. If they verify it as valid, you’ll have to fight with the collection agency / doctors to try and have it removed. If it gets to that point, you can come back here and I’ll point you in the right direction.

First thing though, find out what CRA your employer used, buy your detailed credit report from that CRA ( usually around $10. ) Then dispute the account online… then let us know how it goes.