Credit Repair 101

[quote=“walter,post:20,topic:26976"”]

Hopefully young people that see threads about people who want to fix their credit will realize that modding /etc on credit isn’t the smartest idea out there, and will avoid it.

[/quote]

Word. Loans for go fast parts = Not the best idea. Especially when it’s modding a honda, and it’s breaking frequently. :smiley:

There’s no point to pay for your credit report. It’s free:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Just spread out the 3 reports over the course of the year. I personally use www.privacyguard.com which monitors my credit and allows me to pull my 3 agency report at anytime.

[quote=“haner,post:22,topic:26976"”]

There’s no point to pay for your credit report. It’s free:

[/quote]

pulling your credit for free effects the ability to dispute, that’s why it’s not recommended if you think you need to dispute or repair your credit.

if you don’t need to repair or dispute anything, pull it for free, but if you are going to fight it… pay the 10 dollars.

Adam, you ever get my email???

[quote=“dreid,post:24,topic:26976"”]

Adam, you ever get my email???

[/quote]

I got one email from you awhile ago, but nothing since. Let me check my spam filter here at work, our IT guys keep fucking with it :banghead:

Just spread out the 3 reports over the course of the year. I

[/quote]

Credit report info (and score) changes monthly, and weekly in some cases. Also, each of the three bureaus are independant company and OFTEN tend to show different data.

I personally use www.privacyguard.com which monitors my credit and allows me to pull my 3 agency report at anytime.

[/quote]

Always a good tip. These are great services, but some of the pricing it outlandish. Review them before you buy.

[quote=“sureshot!,post:11,topic:26976"”]

2.) You have a 4k limit at bestbuy. That 4k is a great number if it’s reported.

[/quote]

Be careful with that advice… I turn down a few people a week because they have “TOO MUCH REVOLVING AVAIL”

e.g.-You should not have 10 cards worth 40k loc avail to you when you make 25k/yr.

[quote=“sureshot!,post:16,topic:26976"”]

hard pulls = hurt your score = done by someone other than you

soft pulls = dont hurt your score = done by you, or done by those stupid ‘pre-screened’ offers everyone gets stating you are ‘pre-approved’

[/quote]

fucking :word: I wish that the media would actually explain this concept to the masses, instead of spreading partial -or- disinformation.

Nick or sureshot??

if I took a settlement a while ago on a credit card debt and I dispute the charge on my credit report(trying to clean up my credit report and score) can they come after me for the rest of the oridinal debt?? like I owed HSBC 1200, they settled for 600, I have the letter saying I paid the settlement debt in full, once I dispute the charge, can they come after me for the other 600???

Cant come back because you legally settled the debt. I doubt it will come off the report before the 7 year mark is up though.

If it does work post back up here, I have one from a few years ago that I cant to get rid of.

[quote=“dreid,post:28,topic:26976"”]

Nick or sureshot??

if I took a settlement a while ago on a credit card debt and I dispute the charge on my credit report(trying to clean up my credit report and score) can they come after me for the rest of the oridinal debt?? like I owed HSBC 1200, they settled for 600, I have the letter saying I paid the settlement debt in full, once I dispute the charge, can they come after me for the other 600???

[/quote]

absolutely not.

[quote=“num482,post:29,topic:26976"”]

Cant come back because you legally settled the debt. I doubt it will come off the report before the 7 year mark is up though.

[/quote]

cool, thats good to know. I actually spoke to a collection agent who works for cap one. I have 3 more payments and Im done. She actually told me that she disputed some debts like this approx 45 days after she paid them off and got about 85% of them removed. She said that if its paid, they shouldnt come back and say its a valid debt. so once I dispute, I wait the 30 days and if nothing, Im good to go, it will come off. I dont see why a company would come back saying its valid especially if its paid, they can get sued for that right?

Even though its paid that doesn’t make the debt not yours. I guess its kinda hit or miss with them. Normally (from what I read on the credit board forum) they do not get removed.

Are you going to dispute by mail or try the online way. Certified mail is the real way to go. Good luck though, please fill us in with the outcome.

[quote=“sureshot!,post:23,topic:26976"”]

pulling your credit for free effects the ability to dispute, that’s why it’s not recommended if you think you need to dispute or repair your credit.

if you don’t need to repair or dispute anything, pull it for free, but if you are going to fight it… pay the 10 dollars.

[/quote]

I just pulled mine for free to see how bad my brother fucked up (see thread from like 6 months ago) my credit. Sure enough all of his stupid accounts of forging me as a co-signer was on there for delinquent balances.

I did my free one through Equifax, and they let you contest it if its free, as I contested it and sure enough those have been removed from my credit report yay! Although they said it could take a quarter for my score to reflect the changes.

Maybe of the free ones Equifax is the only one to let you contest? Dunno.

[quote=“num482,post:32,topic:26976"”]

Even though its paid that doesn’t make the debt not yours. I guess its kinda hit or miss with them. Normally (from what I read on the credit board forum) they do not get removed.

Are you going to dispute by mail or try the online way. Certified mail is the real way to go. Good luck though, please fill us in with the outcome.

[/quote]

Dunno, since I am real close($600) from being debt free except for my car note, I am going to start researching this. Gotta start reading the credit board forums again. The biggest thing is that my dad has always cosigned for me on car loans. He is suffering from dimentia and in a nursing home now. My focus lease is up in aug 08 and I really really want a TBSS and I want to get it on my own. thanks guys for all your help, if you guy hear or read anything please post it up. I will let everyone know what happens

I am going to do it thru the mail certified and all.

they wont come after you for 600.00 to begin with, waste of theyre time.

[quote=“LAFENGAS,post:30,topic:26976"”]

absolutely not.

[/quote]

word. keep your sif statement around.

as far as disputing it to have it removed, thats :tif: but works in theory.

why is this not an off topic sticky?

It was, not sure why it was taken down

wow go figure bank of america still hasn’t fixed my mess… :rolleyes: thanks for bumping this, time to play phone tag again

thanks for having this up :slight_smile: