Credit Report

I just ordered a free credit report from freecreditreport.com. I have excellent ratings but there is one discrepency. When I was in College, I was getting benefits from the Montgomergy GI bill. The school made an error and I was told to pay back an amount. i spoke to the school officials and they took responsibility for the error. The govt however had collections take the account and they would not leave me the fuck alone even after I told them it was all resolved. I see this on my credit report. Who can I contact to dispute this? It was the govt’s fault in the first place.

i think there is a sticky on this somewhere

Be careful with the freecreditreport thing though. They’re charge you 12.59 or osmething a month if you don’t cancel it right after checking it.

-Yeah, I know about the charge. Thanks though.

Okay fine I’ll post something here.

When you use the freecreditreport thing to get your modified reports, it changes the amount of days the agencies have to review your information anytime you dispute. Part of winning disputes is putting the pressure on the company with a short time-limit, like 30 days. The freecreditreport will bite you in the ass as it gives the agencies between 45-60 days to handle your disputes.

i tried to do that freecreditreport thing not too long ago, and it didnt work for me. I was real pissed too…i hate seeing “due to technical problems we were unable to process your order” ESPECIALL after i just gave them my name, address, social, credit card number, etc…

If you’re going to ask that information of me, make sure your shit is working right…

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

Free and no bull.

Like I said, I’d be careful before fucking around with the free credit reports. I mean the real deal is only $10 bucks. But do as you wish :ham:

Should I just contact the Veteran Affairs office and give them shit since it is their fault?

Pull all the documentation you have ( you kept it right? ) pull your credit report. Go photocopy everything and then call and give them massive amounts of shit. Say this is the one and only time you will talk to them, and if they agree they fucked up, tell them you need it in writing, mailed, not faxed to you ( the courts dont acknowledge faxes ). Then if they do, you are good. If they tell you to fuck off, take all your documentation, draft up your reasoning and proof, get it notarized and send it certified to them. In it say you are prepared to take legal action and read up on the actual laws they violated, and state them in the letter. it’s a war. or you could just do the research yourself and be better off for it

^Thanks

Those free credit reports enroll you in this program where it “monitors” your credit, to the tune of 9.99 a month.

People don’t notice this, and don’t read the fine print.

Bottom line is just pay the 10 bucks for the service, nothing in life is free.

The link i posted is 100% free, it was forced by the government.
I’ve used them couple times in the past, no hidden fees, 100% free. You are allowed to pull one report from one of the three per year. So you can pull 3 at once or pull 1 every 4 months from a different company for 100% free.

X2 thats the way to go I also used that link you posted for my consumer law class:headbang:

:sigh: