Quick credit report question

Ok, so i was going to apply for a mortgage, and had them run my credit report first to make sure everything was good. It wasnt.

There are 2 judgements on my name, that when i call them and give them my SSN, they say they have no record of me owing them money. I’m 99% sure they are from my dad (we have the same name, 'cept i’m the jr obv) but need to know who to contact to get them off. The names that are on there are:

NU Island Partners for 750$ that was filed last year feb. i tried calling the only number i could find online, and the lady was a complete cunt and after she saw there was nothing under my social hung up the phone…

The next one is for the State of New York that was filed a little over a year ago.

Does anyone know who i would need to contact to get this off my public records report?

Go there and ask… you will get infinetly better answers and there are tons of turorials etc

You have to contact the credit reporting agency and dispute them. This could be a very long process.

The Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), codified at 15 U.S.C sections 1681a through 1681t, provides the framework designed to help you eliminate erroneous or unfair credit information from your credit report. All consumers have the right to challenge the accuracy of their credit report. Once you challenge the accuracy of a particular item of information, the credit bureau must investigate that item within 30 business days (before September 30, 1997, it was within “a reasonable period of time”).

If the credit bureau finds that the challenged information is erroneous or cannot be confirmed or denied, it must be promptly removed from your credit history. Even if the bureau confirms a particular item that you have appealed, you have the right to a Consumer Statement (100 words or less, explaining your side of the story) included on every credit report copy that the bureau sends out.

Like Avatar said, you have to contact the credit reporting agency.

:tup:

Should have gotten the reports on your own instead of having a bank do it. Inquiries drop your score also.

dispute online. The companies have 30 days to report. If nothing comes back after those 30 days, the inaccuracies(sp) will fall off your reports. Dont forget you have to dispute on all 3 reports.

mike, where are you buying a house… txt me

i disputed some stuff after i got my free annual credit report. I followed the instructions at the site to dispute with all 3 bureaus. I thought they actually got back to me fairly quick, told me I had to put it in writing. I sent them the letter and it was fixed right away. As said, if they can’t prove it’s your problem or the company doesn’t get back to them promptly, they drop it.
I got my credit score from 472 to 796 and bought a house, woo

nice jump. I cant wait for all the neg remarks to drop off my report next year. damn CCs

False.

The reporting process was changed a while back to where a lot of inquiries doesn’t affect your score…as long as they are all within a small window of time.