Crosshatching cylinder walls

I’m putting new pistons in my motor, oem size and my cylinder walls are fine. Now what would be the best way to get a good crosshatch on the walls??

Should I go with a hone like this
http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00904633000?rgn=0,0,640,640&scl=2.56&fmt=jpeg

Are there any other tips/tricks that I should know?

keep it moving, in and out just liike your having sex with it. if you stop you will piss the her i mean the engine off.

if ur need to stop for any reason…PULL OUT COMPLETELY

What about lube??

i would assume some KY i mean any kind of cutting oil or even motor oil would be fine…but i dunno

you would be better off with a ball brush hone, and WD40 works great for cutting oil if you don’t want to buy 1 gal of the honing oil

if your cylinder walls are fine and there is nothing that catches your finger nail I would NOT recommend honing the cylinder walls. Just slap on new rings and your good to go. I doubt the honeing tool your using is going to be fine enough for your application anyway.

Where would I get a ball brush hone locally?? I did read that you want to remove the glazing on the walls of the cylinder.

p.s Also where can I find assembly lube, I’ve looked at like autozone and stuff and didn’t see it on the shelf.

i just use a ball brush and some 10-40 attached to my cordless drill

No where locally. Goodson machine tools online is the place I purchase from. Forget Autobone, stop into a local NAPA or CarQuest store they will have it

whatever happened to if it aint broke dont fix it?

^^It was overrun by “While we are in there, make it faster”

use the hone with the lil balls on it and use automotive oil 40 weight and go in and out while spinning with a drill untill u see that famous cross hatch pattern i learned this from my cousin at his shop when we did his motor

NAPA had one :slight_smile:

You have to decide what you are trying to accomplish by “honing”. The correct cylinder finish depends primarily on the rings. Read this to learn a bit about it: http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/eb110242.htm

new rings = hone the cylinders.

not nessasaraly (did i spell that right?)

rocket motorsports and a bunch of other companies would agree (that it doesnt need to be honed). in their testing, they found that the rings would seat faster, and gave better results in a leak down and compression test (unhoned bore in good shape).

Ive built quite a few motors :wink: I might know a little something. One Unhoned 2.0liter shortblock i built is running at around 650whp right now.

[QUOTE=Zer0DazE]not nessasaraly (did i spell that right?)

QUOTE]

Not even close.:lol: too bad i cant offer you the correct spelling either.:stuck_out_tongue: