Cruise on/off

I spent a lot of time driving this past week and was trying to figure this out.

Why do you need to turn the cruise control on and off in every car? Is it a saftey thing?

Is there any reason to not leave it on all the time?

My rabbit has it on all the time. You can probably jump the cruise relay if you want it on all the time.

i turn it off when im not using it just so the light is off my dash, but im not really sure why…cant you leave it on?

Is there a reason to not have it on? My HHR has a toggle switch that when its depressed its on and my 3 has just a button that turns it on and off and stays on even after the car is turned off and back on.

Just curious why they do this and if there is any bad part of having it on all the time. Seems like a waste of a button to me. Haha.

you drive an HHR? gross. i’d prob leave cruise on, point it towards a lake and jump out

in my civic my cruise is “on” all the time, it is just not set till I hit the highway … so I think it dependens on the car

my civic I just hit the “set” and im done

my mini van you need to turn it “on” everytime you want to use it … then “set” it

Company bought it for me. Its pretty nice for a utility vehicle. Beats the hell out of a PT Cruiser and more fun to drive than a utility van.

I bet its some sort of safety measure, if the brake switch and ‘coast/cancel’ button dont work there is a physical switch to kill everything. They just turn off because its a n/o relay.

Still gay though, but it would be a simple fix if its really a problem.

I’m guessing it’s just the evolution of safety features because of asshole lawyers finding ways to blame car companies for horrible drivers.

i leave mine constantly on.

Probably just differing philosophy from company to company. My 1993 Nissan and my 2007 Nissan both have/had single throw switches that latch on so they have to be turned on again if you shut the car off. My 2003 Mazda has a double throw switch so it stays in the position you last left it in.

^^^almost positive 90-96 300ZX switch will stay on until you turn it off

I love the E36 system where it’s a stalk on the right and you push to set or add speed, and pull to slow… up/down = cancel. push in = recall last speed set. so simple and easy to use.

My rabbit’s cruise turns off. Have you tried moving the cruise paddle away from the wheel?

prolly a safety feature. I remember a few dodge minivans that wouldnt disengage cruise when you hit the brakes due to a corroded plug in the wiring harness, so youd have to turn it off with the switch to kill the cruise