crx motor

i have a friend with a 91 crx si. he wants to know what is a good motor swap for his crx. he also would like to know if anyone has anything laying around for a crx perfomance and/or body parts.

what kind of budget does he have and how much power does he want to make??

Im gonna throw a K in mine.

Either an B18B or B16A1/2 would both be good choices for not a lot of money. Not sure if CRX’s come with cable tranny’s though??

H22 that bitch!..

ugh … b16(whatever) for the easy swap… i think it is a cable…

H22 that ish. Torque yo!!

when he swaps it, can i have the SI motor? lol

i dunno ill talk to him about what he is doing with the old motor… but i think his motor is beat lol. does anyone have any 1 of those motors 4 sale? and i also have to ask this question… when he takes off and slowly lets the clutch out theres this kinda grinding noise or even a sliding noise, possible metal on metal action, just wondering if anyone else has this problem?..

build a d?

^ :tup: dude it only costs like $1g to go fully build on one of those, and a turbo kit could be done sooo cheaply on those. zerodaze even has a how-to for it for that specific setup for a budget buildup in the tech forum here.

Yeah but the potential for a D series is so limited. I guess it all matters how fast he’s interested in going. I cant see a turbo D trapping close to 120ish though, whereas a stock turbo GSR with a nice kit would easily.

money spent:power ratio is a big difference. to spend like $2500 on a gsr swap, and then another $3300 on a kit like peakboost to make 350whp, you could spend like $1500 to make the d-series fully built, esp a z6 or y8, and then spend about another $1500-2000 to make a decent kit and put out the same power number.

limited…?
300 wheel is plenty of power in a crx.
Unless he wants to build a drag car

im not sure yet how much he’s looking to spend

but i kno when i get my prelude im gonna spend a nice hunk of change

Same number? I agree with you that “on a budget” a D series turbo setup can be fun and somewhat quick. But isn’t Zerodaze’s old hatch built, and only put down like mid 200’s? Sure, the GSR swapped, peakboost turboed car is going to be more money upfront, but when the D series maxes out at a certain HP, the GSR can easily obtain MUCH higher HP numbers with limited internal work. Becuase I don’t know this guy’s budget and more importantly, his goals for the car, I can’t really say what he should do. If I were in his shoes though, and didn’t have the money for a B series swap and turbo kit right now, I’d say by the swap, go NA and have fun for a little while, get the money together for the turbo kit, and pwn the living shit out of 99% of people next summer.

hmt.com 4 life son

There was a d series sedan in last months issue of HT. he is making some good power.

either way, you’re going to pay to make power. sure you can throw together a dturbo and all that, but seriously, how reliable will it be? if you’re not upgrading your internals and all the important little stuff, you’re car will only be as strong as the weakest link. becks car is fast, puts down like 250ish i think, and beats most anyone he’s going to meet on the street. but imo the pistons are his weak point. you throw in a stock gsr motor, turbo it, and think you’re going to put down 350-400 daily? i’d like to see it.

either way you go, you’re going to pay for the higher hp. i’d say realistically for 3k you could have a reliable dturbo, 300hp to the ground, but you won’t get much more out of it. 3-4k and you’ve got a bturbo with similar power, but room for more. i’d say step back and look at your goals for the car. do you want a snappy off the line around town bomber, or a madd tite highway pulla?