Custom Fuel Cell

So I yanked the fuel tank out of my 00 Mustang in preperation for sandblasting, seam welding, wide body work, priming, painting and the IRS install.

Anyway I wanted to know if anyone has any useful information regarding fuel cells. I want one to:

Save weight: stock tank weighs 32.5 lbs

Reduce fuel slosh: Foam filled and or baffled cell will prevent sloshing

Prevent Pump from sucking air: Sumped cell will help

I was going to have a custom poly cell built. I wanted to know:

How durable that shit is in a collision?

Is poly wrapped in a aluminum can a good idea? How will that fare in a collision?

Any other useful info would be appreciated. Thanks

I was considering using this guy: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8-GALLON-FUEL-CELL_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33556QQitemZ7998751981QQrdZ1

fuel cells will do better in a collision than ur stock one… they are made for SAFETY…

…agree with viper.

there are different types of cells. You cant generalize like that. Most pro race cells feature a self sealing bladder inside a steel shell… those cost $2500.00
Im dealing with something different… hence the questions

even still they are still designed with safetyin mind… they will be as safe or safer than your stock one

you dont seem to understand…
… I still need my questions answered

i said it will be fine

/thread

Well then… that just gives me the greatest sense of security and clarification

:bloated:

how about we get some experience backed posts that are worth reading

i dont know what your expecting anybody else to say

they are designed for safety… they are safe

what else do you want?

you want some1 to be like yo i was in a collision with a fuel cell and i was fine… what would that prove? is his/her collision going to be the same as yours?

Random information I’ve found:

There are two polyethylene materials used today in the manufacturing of chemical storage tanks – linear polyethylene and crosslinked polyethylene. These materials are very different in molecular configuration, mechanical properties, performance and cost. While some sales documents written in the past have referred to these materials as being, “almost the same” or “having only basic differences,” this is not true for storage tank applications. One difference is molecular weight.

Property                    Linear Polyethylene  Crosslinked Polyethylene 

Range of chemical compatibility Excellent Excellent
Performance between 130° - 150° F. Fair Excellent
Impact Resistance Good Excellent
Weatherability Excellent Excellent
Stress Crack Resistance Fair Excellent
Initial Material Cost Excellent Good
Recyclability Poor Poor
Abrasion Resistance Good Excellent

Impact Resistance

Most raw material and chemical storage tank manufacturers will agree that impact resistance is a key variable in assuring tank strength and structural integrity. The greater the impact strength, the more resistant the tank is to stress cracking and ultimately to tank failures. When comparing the two polyethylene materials, we need to look at two different impact tests that are performed. The first one of these is simply a drop dart test (ASTM D-1998-97) which measures a defined amount of impact resistivity in a homogeneous tank wall sample. This test shows that crosslinked polyethylene is approximately 25% more resistant than linear. The second test is called a Notched Izod (ASTM D-265) impact test. This test measures to failure the amount of impact resistivity of a tank wall sample, which has been pre-notched. (A score or notch has been placed in the impact area to determine notch susceptibility of the given sample during impact.) This test shows that the toughness or impact resistance of a crosslinked polyethylene tank is more than 5 times better than a linear polyethylene tank. (17.0 ft-lb. versus 3.3 ft-lb.)

Source: http://www.waterandwastewater.com/www_services/ask_tom_archive/polyethylene_chemcial_storage_vessels.htm

“If you have a tank failure with sodium hypochlorite using a linear polyethylene type of tank, there’s a possibility that the tank could actually fail by zippering all the way around,” said Pfeiffer. “The reason for this is that linear high-density polyethylene does not have an interlocking structure. Crosslink polyethylene has a chemical structure where the molecules are linked together. Since they are linked, if you were to run into the side wall of the tank with a fork lift for example, there would be a hole, but it would not rip or zipper because of the head pressure. Therefore it’s a safer tank. Also with linear polyethylene, if you make a mistake in the rotational molding process it’s not a problem. The tank is cut up, reground into pellets and re-used to form another tank. With crosslink polyethylene, if a mistake is made in the manufacturing process, it has to be scrapped. It can’t be reground and re-melted. This also explains why a linear polyethylene tank is less expensive.

“From a safety standpoint alone, crosslink polyethylene is safer. When it fails over time, after reaching the end of its life cycle, the chemical will weep out of the degraded area. But that’s the only indication that the tank needs replacing.” “These tanks should easily last at least three years, but I have customers that have been using them for 12 years with sodium hypochlorite,” said Pfeiffer.

Source:
http://www.pollutionengineering.com/CDA/ArticleInformation/features/BNP__Features__Item/0,6649,158411,00.html

Unfortunately, I was unable to find comparisons of Crosslink polyethylene vs. Aluminum and/or Steel.

i think I need to go the fuel cell route. The fuel slosh is killing me on the high camber turns at the Glen

Thank you… that helped

If you know the guage steel (or aluminum, but I assume its steel by the weight) used in your stock tank, you can compare its strength, to the impact resistance, and bursting strength etc… of the Crosslink polyethylene.

I’ll look around a bit more to see if I can come up with anything else…

EDIT:

I found a few tanks made of 16 guage steel…

I found a few Polyethylene tanks With a wall thickness of 1/2". However, I’m not sure if they’re LINEAR, or CROSSLINK.

most cells like those made by RCI, Jazz, and Fuel Safe have a 20ga steel can.
I am exploring options because Id like to see what I can get away with to keep the weight down. The more I think about it the more it looks like A poly cell in a steel can is the answer. I cant have a unprotected poly cell hanging below the car. Any debris can puncture it. Aluminum is too brittle and prone to cracking. Steel has the best fatige strength and elasticity. I REALLY want to strip weight off this car but this doesnt look like the best area to compromize.