Dealer plate?

I’m looking to possibly get a car from PA this upcoming weekend and looking for ideas on how to get it home? I have looked into the NYS transit plate but that only works for in state transit or from in state to out of state. Nothing for out of state to in state. I have also looked over the PA DMV site and haven’t found anything about transit plates. Barring buying the vehicle sight unseen and having him mail me the title so I can register and insure it before I drive down to get it, does anyone have any possible ideas for legally driving the car back to Albany?

i guess theres no way u can tow the car back on a dolly?

Not unless someone with a truck and a dolly wants to drive 5 hours each way as I don’t have either. hahah

rent a dolly and borrow a truck from someone.

Done this a couple of times… What I did was get an insurance card in NYS prior to picking up the vehicle, basically wrote some stuff in the Bill of Sale of taking responsibility for speeding tickets, etc, after the exact date and time of vehicle purchase. Then, I presented the seller with this and asked for the use of his plate just to be able to drive home, on the condition that I would overnight the plate to him.

Basically, if it seems you can reason with the seller, he really has no obligations if you sign your life away by declaring you take full responsibility- this should cover his a$$ in case you get into any kind of trouble after you buy the car and bring it home on his license plate. If he cancels his insurance the day before you pick it up and you drive it home on your policy, then basically he can’t be liable for any claims, etc right?

Anyone see any problems with this, I’m curious though…

Just an idea that has worked for me, but YMMV.

Just letting you know that you can’t actually use a dealer plate unless you are the owner or employee of the dealer. It’s illegal and there are hefty fines for people caught doing it so it may be hard to get one. Unless you find someone who doesn’t know that, lol.

Not sure about other states, but i always had to turn in my plates and get a slip from DMV saying so, so that i could take the insurance off of my car/truck.

dealer plates aren’t legal out of state. but no one will prob bother you. you could just do what i did for my se-r. fly there with a plate (mine was from my moms sentra), drive back with out any registration/insurance/inspection and hope for the best. i made it all the way back from florida in a car with a 3" exhaust without any problems from cops. i did 5 over the speed limit the whole way home.

I kinda figured, thats why I didn’t actually ask anyone to let me use theres :lol

The using an illegal plate is always an option though one that I would really rather not use as I have done that once in the past and it doesn’t make for a fun drive.

Two trips is always a solution.

Or trusting somebody else to go down there and finish the job in one day.

i’ve been up and down the east coast MANY times on dealer plates and never had a problem.

so lucky.

the chance of you having a problem is very slim, but technically it is not legal. i went up the whole east coast without a problem on a plate from a different car, no insurance, reg, inspection…doesn’t mean its not highly illegal.

Of course this is false. How do you think test drives work? Dealers have blanket insurance policies that basically insure anyone over a certain age to legally drive on a dealer plate.

You could always take it home at night and shut your lights off and do 100+mph all the way

:shifty

How did the car search go?

It’s only 5 hours.

I don’t exactly have a gas saver car (19 mpg in the city)…I can go to Buffalo and back on pretty much one tank.

Just make two trips. You’ll be safe, no risk of violations from the car purchase, etc.

Smarter, not harder. Sure, you might make it home without issue…

or…

YOU MIGHT NOT.