dealer vehicle - "curbstoning"

I’m trying to buy this car and read through it’s carfax report.

http://www.carfax.com/viewEmailReport.do?a=EDnDvZCtKi9O7hV6vv5qT66zoKXuTBlRHZT28GGBL4thQH31JcNDzdbDgDaCTSi3

The car went through a series of Auto Auctions and is listed as a “dealer vehicle”.

On the bottom of the report it says:

“Are you buying this car? Then make sure you are buying it from a licensed dealership. Otherwise, you could be a victim of curbstoning, which is illegal. A curbstoner poses as a private seller to sell vehicles for a large profit. Be sure to buy this vehicle from a licensed dealer.”

The car is not at a dealership, but the guy selling says hes a licensed dealer. How do I verify this? He said he just needs to pick up the title from the auction and he will drive the car to my area to sell it. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

A 12 year old car with 150k miles? Why not buy a non-luxury brand that isn’t run into the ground?

have him show you HIS DMV auto dealership liscense…

curbstoning is really lame and i know of a couple places where people do it… they have a buddy in the biz who buys cars, and he sells them

Thanks, I’ll be sure to ask for that.

Just out of curiosity, what happens to the unfortunate buyers?

usually nothing happens to the buyers if ur careful and check the vehicle out VERY carfully, i would have the car put on a lift to check for damages etc… normally though these guys are just usuing the dealer loophole to buy a car for cheap (when other dealers have to buy the carand put $ into it to sell it ) and they sell it to you, most of the time they dont pass inspection/have stolen parts, or could be stolen themselves, they had a dateline on where some woman bought a lexus truck with like 34k on it for like 50k and 2 weeks later the local PD came by and said, maam your truck was stolen etc, and we have to take it, and since she didnt buy it from a dealer, she was out 50k

fyi, the curbstoning thing comes on EVERY carfax report that you do that is a dealer owned vehicle.

I wouldn’t worry about that.

yea, cept his IS being sold by a person NOT on a dealer lot…

pm me his dealer # and i’ll tell you if he’s legit

it doesnt matter if he has a legit dealer number, he can go grab that off the side of any dealer, he needs to actaully sell the vehicle THROUGH the dealership in order to gain the protection

it does matter dipshit. Who evers books it goes through get hung when theres a problem providing its on an mv50. if its not sold on an mv50 then he’s probally an unregistered schmuck, and dont worry theres still ways to hang them too.
and it dosent have to be sold “at” the dealership the dealer can do a courtesy delivery and he’s still protected

good luck viper you do know you’re arguing with the DMV (aka sweet camaro) right?

I pm’d you his dealer # to check it out.

Thanks for all your help guys :tup:

dealer called me today and he said he could sell me the car tonight, but he would not be able to give me the title. He said the tax office is closed and he needs the paperwork, which would be returned to me in approximately 20 days. I’m a bit skeptical since I’m paying cash on the spot and wont receive the title. He said he couldn only give me paperwork showing I paid. I’ve never purchased anything other than a dealership. Can anyone confirm this for me ASAP? I need to meet him in the next 25 min.

wow, SHADY

he could just report the car stolen after u take it

20 days… i doubt it

give him a check as a deposit, post date it for 20 days, and if he gives u said title u dont stop payment on said check

yeah im just trying to clarify, because I dont know much about this stuff. He said it is illegal for a licensed dealer to hand the title over to the customer and the tax office must complete this (hence the 20 day wait).

Dont do it, vipers right sounds shady . No title no cash simple as that. tell him you’ll wait the 20 days

umm no… what tax office? if he is a liscensed dealer, he is able to collect sales tax… etc… he is shady do NOT buy a car without the title in hand

I had a friend in high school who bought a car from a shady dealer. He drove it on a DEALER PLATE for at least a year, because they had title issues. I believe they were called in for some court case against the dealer later on too. He eventually got his title, and they eventually lost all their dealer plate privileges:D