Decent wind power idea

Countries around the world have been installing offshore wind farms for decades now. Turbines are also becoming more efficient, creating higher megawatt returns.

Anyone that posts about nuclear power being unsafe, or unclean should be banned from posting in On Topic threads, and then shot in the face.

I wouldn’t say nuclear power plants are unsafe, but I don’t feel you could argue for them being exactly clean. There is the matter of dangerous and environmentally hazardous waste material.

:word:

Another problem with Nuclear power is the amount of uranium available on the planet that can be used in the reactors. At todays current nuclear capcity, there is only enough uranium to use for 200 years before its all used up. On the plus side, thats not an issue our children or grandchildren will have to worry about, but it is still a problem.

Nuclear is still our best bang for the buck, but solar and wind power will always be there…and as the cost of electricity goes up these power sources will make their return faster. There is currently one new nuclear plant that has been OK’d to be built in the US. I think its still many years from completion though.

:bigclap:

My father in law once mentioned that the electric bill for a certain local business that has 6 induction furnaces is somewhere in the ballpark of three-quarters of a million per month. That’s a lot of power.
Pass the Uranium please.

does anyone know were to get the Home solar power large panels… ?

^ PM AWDrifter, IIRC he looked into it extensively last year when building his hunting cabin.

But basically, return on investment is horrible, just like wind.

The way it works out the person does not even have to come up with 100%. The customer pays a percentage and the state pays the contractor the rest.

There are a few important facts to know about the incentives offered under this program:

• Incentive payments are not paid directly to the owner of the wind system.

• Incentives are paid to eligible installers that have been approved to participate in this program.

• The entire incentive must be passed on to the owner of the wind system by the eligible installer.

• Incentives are paid in two installments. Sixty-five percent (65%) of the incentive is paid after the equipment is delivered to the installation site and all required permits, approvals, certificates, etc. from all jurisdictions having authority are secured. The remaining thirty-five (35%) is paid when the wind system is grid-connected and approved by your utility. NYSERDA reserves the right to review any installation prior to final incentive payment being made.

YOU SHOULD WORK WITH YOUR INSTALLER TO OBTAIN ALL NECESSARY PRE-CONSTRUCTION PERMITS, APPROVALS, CERTIFICATES, ETC. FROM ALL JURISDICTIONS HAVING AUTHORITY PRIOR TO ORDERING EQUIPMENT SINCE NYSERDA WILL NOT PROCESS ANY PAYMENTS WITHOUT PROOF THAT ALL PERMITS HAVE BEEN OBTAINED.

Incentives will not be paid for wind systems installed by contractors or individuals that are not on NYSERDA’s list of eligible installers.

See:

Take a look around and see what is available to you as a NYS resident, you may be surprised.

Oh and on the Nuclear side of things, they are currently drilling near one of our current facilities in efforts to possible add more capacity .

Is the state paying half of the equipment expenses? Or is it subsidized via tax claimants?

Not arguing, I actually wanna know.

Nuclear power plants would solve a lot of our problems.

…including oil…

All the funding that allows the state to do things like this, come from something called the system benefit charge it is in your electric bill. It veries by area and can be $0.25 to a couple of bucks. The money is directly overseen by the public service commission and the State Govt does not and can not get their hands on it to waste it. So currently the the money is usable and provides many many programs for NYS residents to save energy.

If someone on here has gone though, or at least looked into this before I am curious to find out how good or bad the experience they had was. I do not work directly for this program but I like to report feedback when ever I can.

Yeah, unfortunately the return just isn’t there(yet).
It would be a great hobby though, if I had $30,000 laying around I would do it.
It would cost about $50,000 for my house and I could get about $20,000 back from the state.
Like I said the ROI just isn’t there in NY state.
The key is to build and live more efficiently.
It is proof that we are a rich(wealthy) society when we all want to invest in better energy but we don’t want to alter the way we live.:stuck_out_tongue:

PS I just saw a wind mill ad in a mag and I can’t remember which mag it was. Probably Mother Earth News.

nice, thanks.

but for the big question: what kind of output would you get from $50k worth or panels?

IOW: Actual ROI…?

and if the nuclear power doesn’t work… you can always hit 'em with it.

There is a website that will calculate it for you but, it makes many assumptions.
Even the best case scenerio was not good enough for me.
Ed Beagly(sp) has lots of money to throw at this hobby so for him I am sure it was great.
I quoted some Chinese leader before, “Living green is a luxury saved for the rich”.
Unforntunately this is still somewhat true.

The biggest flaw in the calculator was that it assumed you would mortgage the project for 30 years BUT, it rated the life of the equipment at 25 years!!!
WTF is that?

i think our last 10kW project came in at a bit under $50k cost to the homeowner. things have changed slightly with NYSERDA since then though.

local demonstration projects gave us an estimate of ~9,000 kwhr/year
a system model gave 10,000-11,000 kwhr/year