Decreasing the ingress/egress of my daily driver to lotus proportions

it’s going to be bolt in regardless, in case i choose to sell the vehicle. This cage was 650.

A local place with a bunch of experience told me they would do a main hoop, harness bar, frame rail connectors and xbrace for ~$600 in mild steel for the 944. Provided I had it all stripped down and ready to go.

not bad at all… things get a lot more $$ in 6/8 pt territory though, especially if its going to be with a full interior.

Yep, and that was a bit of a hookup with me doing the prepwork and only 4 pt.

For the cost of Autopower vs. Weld-In (Procar), weld-in is definitely better/money. After buying the cage and shipping (they don’t charge you shipping, they ship it to you, then wont give you the bar until you pay $150 shipping, trust me, I know), you get a better bar, to your specs, welded in.

I speak from experience with the Autopower bar. As far as permanancy goes, its 12 3/8" holes drilled in your car vs. some welding.

i am not putting a weld in cage in this car. end of story…

I never said they were “just for looks”, but the point I was trying to get accross is that there are much better cages out there, and I guess if I was going to spend money on safety equip, I would spend it on something that is a little better.

but wouldnt you agree that decent safety equipment, installed correctly, is better than none?

Sure - but I’m just saying with newman not really being the type people see as skimping…

this originally started as a harness bar. This will be a bit better than that…

Better to over do it rather then cut corners when it comes to safety. Let’s just hope that you never have to test out the actual capabilities of the cage.

I guess just found it interesting, when someone posted a $650 cage that (i assume?) isnt going to see much track time, its not good enough. However, probably 90% of the forum has cars that make more power than stock, and a lot of those people race them in one manner or another, but I’d bet very few of those people have made their car safer in anyway.

If someone is building a 600hp car, does anyone ever say ‘you’d better get a nice cage?’ Not too often.

I dont know where I’m headed with this. Im half sick and tired.

Why put in a cage when you don’t really care about motorsports? If you’re just driving the car around as a daily driver, it’s not going to see the kind of stresses that would necessitate a cage. You could do a lot of other things with the money. :shrug:

You’re better off just putting a harness bar in there if you’re going to install racing seats and a harness. Cage in a street car that will never see the track is a waste of money.

^but harnesses sans cage = squished head/broken neck in a rollover.

Then don’t put a harness in the car. Don’t really need it if you don’t plan on doing anything motorsports related to push the limits of the car.

More $$$$ saved.

oh newman.

True, but I dont think most car enthusiasts are in the business of saving money on their cars, track use or not. 55yr old Judy from accounts payable with the Ziggy shit all over her desk is in the business of saving money on cars.

already has racing buckets, and they cant be used with stock seatbelts, so hes got harness’s

True.

Whoever told you that shouldnt be around modified cars.