Detailing a boat

Hey guys, I’m going to be buffing/waxing a Maxum 1800 fiberglass boat on monday, I was wondering what compound/wax I should use that is readily available in the area? I’ve got a porter cable 7424 and auto compounds, but I was unsure of what to use on fiberglass. And how should I prepare/treat the fiberglass before I start buffing?

Sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum, I wasn’t sure where to post this.

Thanks!

Not sure about the buffing, but I used Colinite marine wax. Must be good stuff judging by how much my wife has bitched about how slippery the fiberglass side is when she steps into the boat. :tup:

I ALWAYS use Gary’s Royal Satin wax. It’s a great cleaner wax. My boat is an 89 and looks brand new after using this stuff.

http://images.shipstore.com/ss/images/hwc/hwcg105.jpg

i love that stuff. buy it at advanced auto comes in a clear tall skinny bottle

3m Cleaner wax is very impressive at removing oxidation and making the boat shine. You really need to use a rotart on a boat though. Gel coat laughs at orbital polishers unless you are just using it to apply the wax and not polishing at all.

Alright, well that’s one product down lol - Thanks for the super quick responses!

+1

I use it on my boat as well. It is easy to use and lasts all summer on my boat. I did not use my boat much last year and it was still nice and slick when I opened it up this year.

So what you’re saying is I shouldn’t bother buffing with compound, just using the orbital to get the wax in?

That reminds me, I’ve really got to wash mine again. I docked it for 3 days at the inlaws and that was enough for it to develop a green scummy haze. No wonder Jay won’t eat fish out of the lake. :roflpicard:

hes saying olny use the orbital for the wax. nothing else

collinite is this stuff? http://www.lfsmarineoutdoor.com/ProdImages/small/925-collinite-fiberglass-boat-wax-thmb.jpg

funny, I was trying to figure out what that stuff was called

I have had AWESOME results using the Gary’s satin as a cleaner wax, then go back over it with the collinite’s for a really shiny finish.

Alrighty then. Gary’s Satin and then Collinite’s wax. Awesome. Thanks! :wave:

Just took a look at it, it might not even need advanced cleaning, I might just wash/wax and be done. Forgot we powerwashed her at the end of last season.

Yeah I’ve used Collinite Insulator’s wax on the cars for a couple of years and liked it so I grabbed a $20 dollar bottle of the fiberglass boat wax for the boat. I’m a lazy hack. Probalby spent all of 2 hours washing and waxing, and it still came out well.

I use the stuff on my car too, it’s great