Detailing information for noobs

I wrote this for a site I’m a mod for, and a lot of the people on there were unclear on different products and techniques for a successful car cleaning. This is just some basic information - It can go WAY more in depth. No news here to the experts, but maybe this will help some people who is new to detailing, or are just interested in keeping their car looking good.

First off, there are a few things I’d like to clear up right off the bat.

-ALWAYS hand wash your car if possible. Like they say, “Death Before Drive-Through.”
-We all already know that touchless car washes do a pretty poor job as it is, and the ones that do touch your car have a tendency to pick dirt up off of other cars, and slap it around on your paint, marring the hell out of it.
-DIY or “Quarter Washes” are never good, either. They use chemicals that are too harsh, and the brushes are always rough and usually contain dirt/pebbles from other people’s dirty or muddy vehicles.

With that being said, lets move on.

There is a basic 5-step process to dealing with proper exterior care of your car.

1. Washing
  2. Cleaning/Prepping (Yes, this is a separate step from washing.)
  3. Polishing
  4. Protection
  5. Maintaining

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/data/500/2400_5step.jpg
(meguiarsonline.com)

1. Washing:

This is the first step when properly detailing the exterior of your car. There are a few things you will need for this.

-Water (Usually a hose)
-Applicator (Sponge, brush, mitt, etc.)
-Wash Solution (Soap)

1. Make sure the car is away from direct sunlight, the whole detailing process will be easier.
  2. Grab two clean buckets. Put the soap and water mix in one, and just clean water in the second.
  3. Wet the entire car.
  4. Take your sponge or mitt and dunk it in the soapy water.
  5. Wash the car from top to bottom, don’t use too much pressure.
  6. After each panel, dunk the sponge or mitt in the bucket of clean water and agitate before putting it back in the soapy water. This will work some of the dirt that was picked up from the paint out of the sponge or mitt.
  7. You’re supposed to rinse the car once it’s completely soaped/washed, but I like to do each area at a time. If I started on the roof, then moved to back window and trunklid, then windshield and hood (after cleaning sponge after washing each panel) I rinse them all off together.
    -Do not forget your wheels and tires! Do not use any rough brushes on the wheels, but DO scrub the tires with a stiff brush.

Drying:

-Your best bet is microfiber or microfiber waffle-weave towels or a leaf blower.
-Do not use old terry bath towels or t-shirts. Each of these can actually marr the paint.

2. Cleaning/Prepping

There are many paint cleaners out on the market today, some are in a liquid form (like wax), but the preferred method by most (if not all detailers) would be a Clay Bar.

Paint cleaners are generally used for removing below surface defects, and clay bars are used for surface paint cleaning and removal of bonded contaminants (brake/rail dust, sap, etc)and light to mild oxidation. Paint cleaners usally go on like wax or polish.

How to Clay Bar your car:

1. Mold the claybar into a wafer or pancake shape.
  2. Lubricate surface to be clayed. I like Meguiar’s Quick Detailer Spray (with the pump bottle, not aerosol), apply liberally.
  3. Rub the clay bar back and forth across the paint. Make sure to get every square inch, and make sure you use enough lubrication (keep it to yourself), or the clay will just stick and not glide across paint like it should.
  4. Dry panel with microfiber towel.
    -After the car is clayed completely, it may need re-washed or quick detailed, as clay usually leaves some sort of streaky residue.

3. Paint Correction/Buffing/Polishing

There are many buffers/polishers on the market today. The perfect one for anyone is the Porter Cable 7424 or 7336. It is a dual action polisher, so you can’t burn or mess up your paint, but still get satisfactory results. Other buffers on the market are the Flex, the Cyclo (dual head, dual action polisher), etc. I use The Edge Pads, because their system is easy to use, the pads are two-sided, and because they make a convinient adapter, the pads are always centered. Hook and loop pads can often be off center, causing an off balance buffer and much vibration.

Rotary Buffers do the best work. However, if you are not highly skilled in using one already, do not attempt to take one to your car. If you don’t know how to properly use a rotary buffer, you can damage your paint severely. Brands include DeWalt, Makita, etc.

1. Apply polish to pad. Usually about two quarter-sized dots will do a whole panel.
  2. Put the buffer on a very slow speed (1 of you’re using a Porter Cable) to spread the product around on panel.
  3. Once product is spread, begin working. You want to move the speed up (depending on what kind of polish and pad, you will adjust your speed accordingly. Please feel free to PM me for further assistance with that). You will want to make passes back and forth, overlapping each path by 50%. Contine until polish has broken down (or become transparent.)
    -Depending on what polish/pad combination you go with, you may need to repeat.
    -Always start with the lowest cut polish/pad combination. If it doesn’t work completely, move to the next (more abrasive) pad and polish combination, and so on.
    -Always wash out/clean your pads after each use. If you don’t, they can gum up the next time you use them, or if the polish dries in them, the next time you use them, the dried polish in them may dust and make a mess.

4. Protection

This is the part where waxes and sealants come in. Always make sure you use any sealants or glazes first, then wax.

Glazes are applied to give your paint that wet, deep look. Wax is applied to protect the paint, as well as create depth, glow, and gloss to the paint. Wax is what causes water to bead on the paint when washed or rained on.

5. Maintaining

This is your Quick Detailers and Spray Waxes. Since you’re usually not going to go through all of these steps every time you wash your car, spray waxes are a good idea between full details. Quick detailers are great for when the car gets dusty between washes.

Trim/Tires/Other

There are many tire shines and trim dressings available today. Make sure to stay away from foaming tire shines, as they usually settle streaky and spotty. Aerosol is fine, but make sure to not get on your wheels or brakedust will stick to it. Water-based tire shines and trim dressings are ideal, but are hard to come by as most are usually petroleum (oil) based. Make sure to put on your tire shine when you have some time for it to dry/cure before you drive, as most over the counter products WILL sling all over the paint if they aren’t dry.

Some Side Notes:

-Use dish soap to wash the car ONLY when you are going to be claying/polishing/waxing it. If you use dish soap otherwise, it will just strip off any wax that was on the car. Use only car-wash specific soaps that will not strip wax.
-Do not use bristle brushes on the wheels or paint. These will more than certainly scratch the paint, at least to some extent. Try to use microfiber or sheepskin mitts/sponges whenever possible.
-Make sure to tape off any plastic trim, emblems, or other objects the polisher could burn/damage. Mask off plastic trim because wax and polish will leave that horrible whitish chalky looking residue on them. (A little trick - put on your trim dressing on the plastic before you wax, then the wax will just wipe off of the trim.)

Here are some good products that anyone this interested in detailing should look into:

The Edge Polishing Pads
Stoner’s Solutions
Poorboy’s World
Meguiar’s
Pinnacle
Wolfgang
Menzerna
Klasse
Black WOW
Leatherique
303 Aerospace Cleaners
Lake Country Pads
Detailer’s Pride
3M
Collinite
Optimum Polymer Technologies
P21s
Zymol
Zaino

If you have ANY questions, PM me. PART 2 - Interior - coming soon.

my neon needs a good clay and full detail. I only wax it. but it could use a detail.
I hate going thru all those processes

Subscribing… I’ve been looking into getting a PC and starting to step my game up.

I got a 7424 last summer with some of those velcro backed pads (can’t remember the manufacturer). I tried using it on the Maxima and Ram and to be honest I was a bit disappointed. On the Max, I went medium cut cleaner - fine cut cleaner - something else - show car glaze… Maybe the paint was just in such a bad shape that there was no bringing it back… I dunno… maybe I need to use better product, but I was always under the impression that the Megiuars “professional” line or whatever it is (the beige bottles) were pretty good stuff. :dunno:

Also, I have never heard of anyone using a leaf blower to dry their car. :rofl: Wouldn’t that (at the least) kick up a bunch of dust?

Good write-up Zach. I can’t wait to claybar my truck again. Also, I picked up a sweet stiff bristle interior brush at Advanced Auto over the weekend. They have the most handy auto tools around for the cost.

A 7424 can tackle some pretty mean work. I would say if you upped the abrasiveness of the pad/polish combo, and work your way down to finer cut/finishing polish before the LSP, you would be satisfied. I’ve found that sometimes with a DA polisher like the PC 7424/7336, if your pads/polish are not aggressive enough, you might have to repeat the process 1-3 additional times per panel to achieve the results you seek.

Of course, it is a fact that rotary buffers do the best work when used properly. Definitely not for beginners, though - one wrong move with one and you’ve burnt through the clear/paint or made a crapload of swirl art on your car. A good example of this is going to a used car lot at night, and looking at a cleaned car under the car lot lights, more specifically a black or dark colored car. Chances are if the detailer isn’t a pro with a rotary, you will see lines/swirls made by buffer passes.

I’ve never used a leaf blower myself, but some people rave about it.

agreed, the pc is a good tool for starting out because its so easy to work wiht, but a rotary is def the way to go if the paint is bad or you wanna knock it out in a shorter time.

It still amazes me that you think you know how to “actually” fully detail a vehicle the right way. No wonder why “Detailing for dummies” books are selling so good, people like you are buying them

I wrote it for “dummies,” hence the thread title “Detailing information for noobs.” If the title had read “Detailing information for people that already know what they are doing,” this thread may be of interest to you.

who wants to detail a car or two?

i clay barred my truck today. its 100% better then it was. smooth as a brand new car. i was amazed just fuckin takes way to long. i didnt do my front bumper or grill or tailgate or back bumper because i got too bored.

and yet you go about some things wrong or missleading:fart:

What’s wrong or misleading? If something is wrong, let me know so I can fix it - don’t call me out like I claimed to be an expert or something.

if I can borrow it for the weekend, Sure. :slight_smile:

awww snap in for detailing snob bitchfight

Zach, how much of a difference would the polishing stage really make on a newer car? I have an 07 that is garaged about 50% of the year (we have a one car garage). I claybar it a couple times a year and wax it about once a month with meguiars nxt. When I am done it is smooth like glass and has a deep shine. If i went out and got a porter cable and some pads and polish and added that step along with a sealant or glaze, will I see much of a difference? Seems like that might be something that only really helps on an older car with faded or oxidized paint.

any tips for white paint? I’ve used Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover to get the yellow/dark spots out before but it really takes the gloss off the finish.

Also, there is something around my door handle, I thought it was egg yoke at first, it’s yellow and I was able to get most of it off but there are some spots around the door handle I cannot get to with enough pressure to really scrub it off. It’s deep into the paint i think. Still no idea what it is. Just noticed one day picking up the girls in South Side

I pray every night that one day… ONE DAY… I will be as fucking awesome as you are.

buy an xbox. you will be the man on saturday nights in pittsburgh.

:eek3: