detailing 101

I need help. I am in desperate need of a detail on my car and I make the mistake of paying other people to do it for me instead of learning by myself (no offense to the people that ive asked, you do great work). I figure if i can learn than i wont need any help but im not sure where to start. Ive done simple details but things like oxidation, swirls, and scratches i have no clue how to fix them, nor do i know the tools or product to use.

Basically my car has a lot of swirls, some scratches and one part of the car has a little oxidation. Im looking to get the most out that i can. I do realize that some stuff wont come out but i want it to look the best that it can. Where should i start and what should i use? Any help is much appreciated.

Groits has some DVD’s on how to detail, etc

I would do a claybar kit, and Turtle Wax has a “Black Box” kit thats made for black cars I just used and it came out pretty nice. In it it has a cleaner wax(stg1), and a carnnuba wax(stg2), and it also comes with 2 bottles of detailer made for black.

chances are most of them would come out. However I wouldn’t suggest buffing it unless you know what your doing, you can ruin your paint VERY easy. Try using the mother 3 step system. It will be something good for you to start.

Clay bars work awesome. I couldnt believe what one did on my last car and it even got yellow line paint off my dad’s old car.

Gotta do the truck soon.

clay bars are great tools, they get a lot of dirt that can’t be washed off, its good for a fresh start, however its not a paint correction, its part of the cleaning stage.

ive claybarred and used the “black box” It does look better but swirls are still there

figured i’d ask here also, what about rain spots? they like will NOT come out WTF

Check out this link, pretty easy to read and well put together.

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/

They need to be buffed, nothing short of a abraisive compound and a good cutting pad will take em out. Acid rain is a BITCH!!

I always wax right after using one.

oh ok, yea i can’t get them shits out haha

Get a hold of Bakerian and ask him if you can watch when he re-details the Cobra next week. :facepalm

Check on a detailing forum, I think it’s done with vinegar or some shit

Pm johawk. Kids nasty with a buffer

It’s also very important to keep the paint in good shape after having the car detailed.

yeah, the previous owner did not take care of the the exterior of the car like he shouldve

Check out www.griotsgarage.com, thats where I “started out” 4 yrs ago and still use a LOT of their stuff today! You can even call them, they’re great over the phone. They hook me up with lots of discounts and free small stuff once they see how much I’ve bought from them haha

I figure why learn when there’s Johawk :rofl

Whatever Kramer says, do the opposite!