DethWysh's 1996 S14 240 SX

So… If you know me, or you’ve seen my previous car around, you know how badly I needed a new one.

My previous car, was a Gold 1995 Honda Accord EX Automatic, that someone had rear ended me, and pushed my trunk in, and had been the rear-ender twice, also, hit in my driveway by family and has a primed hood because of it. Had had plastic front and rear air dams spray-painted green…

Well, I just got this…

The Good:
SR20DET Blacktop (VTC - S14 Edition)
Cone Intake
Apexi Downpipe and Exaust
18-wheels…
Stock (300ZX as well)
5-lug Swapped
EBC Slotted and Drilled Brakes
Eibach Suspension
Apexi Boost Controller
Full Silvia Badging
Pretty Damn Clean
Pioneer Head Unit
LSD
Mishimoto Radiator

The Bad:
Turbo is T28 and made a whining sound when it engaged the boost last night, which worries me…
Total Cost of the car, which I’m paying, will be about $6,300.
Cost of a new turbo, if its the bearings would be about $715…
Minor Rust above windshield and between front bumper and passenger front quarter panel.
Bald Tires.

So far, she rides like a dream. I haven’t laid into her yet, but a few friends have, to which they got popped one.

Any suggestions on what to do/who to call to check out that turbo?

Welcome! Clean ride.

Check for excessive play in the turine shaft to get the general idea of the health of the turbo. Check for leaks.

Thanks for the welcome,

Will read up on that because I’m a bit of a n00b

Nice pick up and welcome

You can get a lot of help in the technical section of the forum, but it is a good idea to read up, especially if you’re not sure how things work and you’ve got a modified car, otherwise it could get expensive to track down issues and replace parts if you have to pay someone else to do it.

What kind of winding sound was it? You sure it was the turbo? Could be a bad pulley, they tend to sound like a supercharger when going bad.

@psi2high Thanks!

It was a whirring sound, high pitched. Not that I can describe it in any more detail without a sound byte…

welcome…how much did you pay? just out of curiosity…you dont have to answer…lol

only reason i ask is cuz we were just talking about this car not too long ago on here…

also many rumors about this car arose…not that they are important…lol

anyways…welcome…

Nice S14! You sure the turbo isnt supposed to make that sound? I’d check for play in the turbo shaft and oil in your downpipe and hot side piping.

i saw you on wolf rd the other day. looks good.

:facepalm

i didnt see that part…damn…lol
its mixed in the middle of a paragraph! haha

Do you drive down Grooms Rd some days around 7-8am?
Ive seen you a couple times recently- looks good

Another member was looking into buying that car and apparently that turbo is new so it shouldnt be dead already unless it was bought used

Well, Honestly, The Previous Owner before the guy I got it from, left some work orders totaling at least 10 grand in the Glove Box.

Lots of problems, he told the shop the wrong year, and they spend a day of work sorting that out… Man alive, one hell of a read. 5 pages of work too. Maybe I should post the scans up so you guys can see…

If it’s new, then maybe it is supposed to sound that way. Can anyone vouch for Stalmer’s credentials? I was gunna ask him!

Stallmer knows turbos

Alright, I’ll have him take a look/listen then. Thanks for the heads up!

bring it by my place sometime and myself and ninety1two40 can take a look (mostly him though, he is the brains and I’m just the good looks)

Nice pickup dude. Ill have to check it out at work.

Its true. His brother got all the looks

:lol douche

Yeah that works really well for him too :rofl