DethWysh's 1996 S14 240 SX

Oh sick. Neutral/pointless rep to you.

Hmm, clean car man. Want some black leather S14 seats for this thing? Driver’s seat is a little rough but the others are nice!

And now that I’ve skimmed this forum, to clear up some stuff

2001 + MY’s, can only have ONE I/M not ready
2000 - MY’s, can have TWO IM’s not ready.

Not 100%, but I’m pretty sure that 2002 was the first year of VIN recognition. Could be 2001, but I’m pretty sure it is 2002. Our ECU’s older than '02 DO NOT have any VIN programming features.

For the KA24DE ECU and wiring setup, see if you can’t retrofit, or have a KA24DE reluctor wheel put into the CAS of the SR. I can’t remember the people who were making them, but when I find the manufacturer of the 4 trigger reluctors I will let you know (I will be needing one too). Maybe they can make one to mimic a KA.

Could always have an EEPROM daughterboard installed and have the software written for an external crank sensor too. (Ones they press a reluctor wheel to the crank pulley, and mount to the timing covers.)

EDIT: schwiggidy schwahh! http://wolfems.cart.net.au/details/106319.html

You sir, are a master. But as 88 said, yeah, it seems more or less impossible.

Couple other things to add to the list for OBD-II is the EGR… Talked to Paul from Synapse, he said it was impossible…

So, maybe it is, but wow… Awesome find, should leave that around. That one can actually allow a CPS to be used, as far as I can read!

Yeah, thats what I’m going to do for my MS setup…

As for making the EGR work, don’t worry about it. If you can get all other IM’s to pass and disable EGR codes (plus w/e other system you remove) and have those two removed systems as “NOT READY,” you’re in the green.

What I’m trying to say is that you can properly do without the EGR, it just won’t ready-up the monitor without it.

My WRX catalyst test is always “NOT READY.” Those codes are disabled for that particular test, so it will never run the tests for the catalytic converters to set those DTC’s and thus will never meet the pass OR fail criteria for that inspection monitor. NYS says all but one… so it has all but one.

What’s the news on the car now? Any updates?

So, after some lessons in respect and not being a massive douche (sorry to anyone I disrespected or pissed off), the car has seen some pretty massive changes…

Out went the SR. I was kinda sad to see it go, but a whole mess of problems made me it a kind of bittersweet…

In went a 205-original-mile 1995 KA24DE, Trans, new (to me) ECU and wiring harness. You’d think that would be it, but no…

A year later I’m still hunting gremlins in the emissions systems… Had to procure a 96 Intake Manifold (complete with Emissions components, like the subharness and solenoids) from a guy on Ebay that only parts out 240s… Good guy to know, very reasonable prices lol. Had to procure a 96 Crankshaft Pos. Sensor harness, so difficult you don’t even wanna know, had to wade through Nico for a month to find it… Also had to find a KA MAF, MAP, Intake, Radiator, and Fuel Pump…

Also, Lia Nissan is rolling in the cash I blew on a slew of new emissions components…

And it’s still isn’t done… Since my mechanic has been on this for a year or more, and pissing off your mechanic will more or less insure you’re paying (in time or money) more, it’s tough. He’s been putting off the work, for good reasons, like he never knows how much more work is required, or that there are other customers he can make money off of for less work and time…

As far as I know, the Carbon canister still needs to be installed, the Rad hoses connected, the cooling system filled, bled of air, a new (non-Miata) battery installed, Upper Rad mounts installed… and some Vacuum lines (which I have plenty of) ran… Yeah, I’ve been doing research, and following this whole thing like crazy… I’m beat…

Thanks for anyone who tried to help, sorry I didn’t listen sooner, woulda saved myself some time, and maybe money. Pics to follow(?)

If your mechanic is taking a year to put a 240 back to stock, IDK what to say.
Should’ve just brought the car to wayne and he would’ve zipped through the swap in 1/10th of what this guy is taking. probably alot cheaper too

this^ 240’s arent too difficult, unless it wiring issues :lol

A lot of it was wiring issues, in the sense that I was missing sub harnesses for the EVAP and CPS systems… I did find them, and yes, the mechanic is just fed up with it… I feel kinda bad I broke him…

Synapse has agreed to take a look and help finish it within the next few weeks… So I guess I have to give my mechanic an Ultimtum. A.S.S. wanted to help but they’re moving and even though I’ve waited a year… An extra few months before diagnoses begins is a bit much…

So maybe it’ll be done by summer? haha:lol

A.S.S. is moving?

This.

/\ They are thinking of a new location… bigger, better, and looking ahead.

If PJB had a 240sx, this would be it.

There are two 240s for sale near Kingston, you know, if you get fed up :lol Red snub nose, and black good looking style one.

wow a year later and this thing is worse off then when it started and is now slow as cock?!?!?! OUCHTOWN - population YOU bro.

You’re going to drive it once and be so disappointed you’re going to sell it.

Should of swapped in a LS1

Honestly you could have brought this thing to joe jiggs. It would have had a d15b in it running 9’s (in the 60’ of course) for only the cost of 3 quadstackers with extra cheese and a king size diet coke.

Probably would be the easier than getting an SR20DET to pass OBD2 inspection.

Or just put a 5.3 in it, those are dirty cheap.

wow failboat thread of failcar