Dial Up > Cable

Usually won’t take them long. Most of the time, if they don’t think it’ll be a big job they won’t schedule for it so that if it is, they’ll reschedule.

FWIW… the drop cable to your house is supposed to be good for only 10 years or so. If yours is older than that, you can get a drastic improvement in picture quality and internet reliability by having it replaced.

Also note that upon first install, there can often be problems like this. Usually they can be resolved with one service call.

but since that’s not a problem with my computer, my understanding is that they’d replace that line if it’s old for free…or so i hope…

and i did get a full signal a few minutes ago, disconnected my phone modem, tried to sign back on while the signal was there with the cable…and just like that, it was gone again… :frowning:

we just got time warner and they left my house with a modem that didn’t even have a power signal. Granted my computer wasnt set up but they should have at least checked for a power signal. Came out the next day and replaced the modem because it was defective…sigh…at least it works now.

Dial up is not better than Cable, even with all your issues.

The only problem I ever have is the line going from the modem to my computer. Sometimes my cat gets into the wire mess that I have and it gets loose or something.

Although I have noticed it being a tiny bit slower when it switched from Adelphia to Time Warner.

Adelphia -> Time Warner switch from what I heard was drastic change for bandwidth, I’m just praying we get a bump when it all finally switches over fully in a few months.

My last speed test (wirelessly) yielded about 2mbps/down and 400kbps/up. :tdown:
If downtown sees FIOS I’m paying for it.

Like I stated in my post, they did all that for free, they own the wires from the pole to the house, and normally even take care of the wires in the house (I’ve never heard of them not covering the in-house wires too)

I had powerlink then it switched to that Time warner stuff and my computer has been running the same. Internet speed is the same.

When i moved into my house the guy turned the cable on at the pole and rewired my whole house in 45min

I have TW coming thursday to install at my house…it better work but I got a good deal given that DSL isnt available in my area.

have ur computer ready to roll and the tech will do all the work

ready to roll as in turned on? :stuck_out_tongue:

basically…and he will hook it all up and do the start up stuff

Dude came to my house today, was cool as hell. Ran all new thicker wire from the pole in my backyard into the basement, and re-ran all new bigger wires from the computer to the splitter in the basement. Gave me a newer/better splitter, let me play with his staple gun, and while he was here made sure all was OK and programmed ok with the new cable box…

:tup:

now i just have to deal with my anti-technology parents bitching and moaning constantly about having to learn how to use the new cable setup and a new remote…fuckin Polocks…