Dial Up > Cable

[left]This is so fuckin frustrating…

I finally took the initiative to get Time Warner cable for the computer, hooked everything up as instructed, and triple checked all wiring and connections…

No workie…i call the 1-877 number, guy does the registration process for me over phone in a minute, and i’m able to surf
I walk away for 2 minutes…maybe less…and i have no connection…i call back, follow all troubleshoot instructions woman gives me on the phone, and she says “yup…no idea, you need somebody to come out there to tell you what’s wrong”

Apparently many other people off the same server as me are all doing just fine…but mine doesn’t want to work. I checked in the basement, and sure enough the line i used for the cable is hooked up just fine. Checked the TV’s, and sure enough…all work just fine…

I have a steady power supply to the modem, but the “receiving” light is and has been steadily flashing…

Fucking gay…i’m all stoked to finally have a fast connection, and shit doesn’t even work…

So far, my experiences prove my thread title…

dialup > cable thus far…

:tdown:[/left]

make sure the cable splitters you are using are “wideband”. The internet ones have a wider frequency range then standard cable ones.

Take the modem to the main point in the basement where the cable comes in. Hook it up and see if the lights link up… if they do then you have a internal (home) wiring issue

i tried just bypassing the splitted entirely and running the wire that comes from the basement right into the modem, still a no go. And i followed every inch of the cable wire itself from the modem right downstairs to where it plugs right into the main splitter that the TV’s come off of…no breaks, cracks, bends, cuts, etc…anywhere

Is this a self install kit?

Most homes don’t have the right signal strengths for the internet and a tech has to come out and correct that.

If you can’t get online with hooking the modem up directly to the first cable coming into the home, you can’t do jack but wait for the tech.

The modem could be provisioned wrong, which happens often with the self install kits and make the modem work here and there but usually very slow when it was working, but they probably checked that over the phone.

To avoid issues in the future, ask the tech to give the modem a cable right off the first splitter and directly to the modem.

I’m sure if you have the wrong filter on the line (coming from the pole) that might have something to do with it too. If thats the case, you will need a tech out to remove or change it. Yeah it sucks, but many times when they send or give you the home install kit, they don’t look up to see what frequencies are being filtered into your house to begin with.

Could just be a bad modem but I think what everyone else said is right.

sounds like its not provisioned properly or there is no signal for hsi, usually the receive light means its either searching all the frequencies for which one has the downstream data and when it just blinks like that means its not finding it.

I’d just call tech support, get a technician to come out and check all the signal levels coming in from the node.

is tech support free? anybody know?..or am i gonna be paying for this guy to come fix their shit?

Usually its free if its a problem thats there fault if I’m not mistaken.

Its 100% free.

yeah I have Dialup still, it fuckin sucks. I keep harping on my parents to get DLS but they wont.

:bloated:

pay for it yourself slug

:rofl:

DLS

i had adelphia powerlink for years and as soon as they thought about switching to time warner, it went down the shitter hard. i was always dropping my connection, download speeds werent so great anymore. i switched to Fios about a month ago and havent looked back. Fios > anything else out there.

I had problems about a year ago with my service, started getting almost the same problem you are having… turns out the wire from the pole to the house was in rough shape; the TV signals still worked fine and looked good, but the connection for the HSI sucked. They re-wired my entire house in about 3 hours for free and now I’ve not had a problem since.

If the probblem is a hardware probblem with your computer they will charge you…If their modem or something is fucked up they won’t charge you.

Has nothing to do with the computer, if the modem’s receive has a steady flash it is scanning for the downstream frequency. If you put the modem on the first cable line coming in and its the same thing, there is not a fuggin’ thing you can do until a tech comes out.

Since you were online at a point though, it probably means your receive signal is right at the edge and will be a shitty connection until a tech fixes it.

You can goto http://192.168.100.1 and the modem will tell ya what its failing at.

As stated already free.

i think this thread title should be changed to:

Modern Technology > Andy

lol jfwy

well did more messin around with the wires that come from the splitter downstairs today…and now i have the power light on, the receive light steadily on…but the one flashing now is the send light…

and no ability to connect at all yet today…

The dude is set up for an all day appt tomorrow, between 8 and 5…hopefully it’s around 11ish…long shot, but hopefully…last thing i want is for him to start a 1 to 3 hour job, and me have to run out for an hour…i dont trust anybody at my house without one of the residents here…