dirt track cars/racing

so whos been around this and what do you think of it. also what class have you perticpated in?

been curious about this as of lately since a buddy seems to want to get in on this. i know with any racing theres no budget in reality its pricey.

i know you need a rustbucket gbody, as for what motors cna you run i know your limited to size. im sure your stuck with a dinosaur motor but wonder if you could pull off a Gen III 4.8 or 5.3 they are smaller then the motors they run.

i know Jay has alot of experience in this

i know at pms and looneyville no gen2 or 3 motors(sorry quik), no EFI. strikly stock cars have engine limits from 283 to a 307 2 barrel only. pure stocks are any SBC. they can be bored (but i’m not sure how much) cammed and cetain ristrictions on cams and heads. if you run a 400 or bigger you have to run a cast intake. no aluminum heads. as for weight and dimensions of the car i’m not sure.

Silver has hit the nail right on the head…at http://www.ppms.comyou can look at the rules for each class.

Personally, after running a dirt modified with my dad for seven years, and then going to Motordrome last Friday, i’d rather race on asphalt.

asphalt is too much follow the leader

Maybe, but it seems like your shit would last longer than the “demo derbies” that I used to see every weekend at the dirt tracks. I’ll be going to a few more races at Motordrome, and will pay more attention to the passing. What’s Jennerstown like? Any better than Motordrome?

I think it would be unfair to all the others who are trying to win if they had you driving against them

true but this really isnt for me but for a buddy that has my old regal

oh. ok then. as long as you wont be driving, carry-on :smiley:

look, i know the storys but damm im trying to be like you as in vin diesel. i want to beable to spin tire along with wheeling my car off the line. can you show me how to do this and shift 7 times?

only if we race for a mile. and i have the nawz

sweet!! and after that can you teach me how to drift since you learnd from Huan? i need to beat cheeks somehow and figure drifing would be a way

As far as getting into the sport, you need deep pockets. The top level Late Models you will see at Lernerville and Pittsburgh’s Pennsylvania Motor Speedway are sporting engines in the $30,000 range.

The support divisions cost far less to compete with but even then the Pure Stocks at these tracks are costing quite a bit to run.

As for asphalt, the area’s promoters are attempting to bring costs down with “Crate” motors. GM and Mopar have factory crate engine programs available; not sure about Ford.

red87iroc - In my opinion Jennerstown is far superior to Motordrome, both in track layout and quality of racing. And as for the facility, Jennerstown has it hands down. I’m am friendly with several of the management team at Jennerstown including the General Manager, the Marketing Manager and Track Announcer. Together they have something like tripled thier attendance over the last couple of years so they must be doing something right.

For those of us in the local race media, the frustration is that most armchair NASCAR fans have no idea that there are 3 NASCAR sanctoned tracks within a two hour drive of the Pittsburgh area.

As for me, I do prefer the dirt. On the Friday nights that I am not at the Starlite Car Cruise you will find me in the Turn 4 grandstands or the pressbox at Lernerville.

JayZee:

Lernerville rocks! Nothing like Big Block modifieds or Sprinters…wish I lived closer. I try and make the World of Outlaws show every year.

I agree that dirt racing is more fun to watch, but IMHO, for someone who is participating, destroys more equipment than asphalt.

I may take the trek to Jennerstown to see one of their shows. Since we raced at PPMS when Miley’s ran the show, I was not expecting too much at Motordrome, but was surprised at the effort they have placed on family friendliness. Heck, Red Miley was riding around the parking lot with a golf cart riding people to the gate! Not sure how his payouts are at Motordrome, though.

Miley’s not a bad guy even though he get’s a pretty bad rap. I interviewed him for a story I wrote last year (http://www.racingweb.com/jimzufall.html) at the Pittsburgher 100; he was nice as could be and has a real heart for what he’s doing.

As for Lernerville I should be there for the World of Outlaws Sprints on July 18th. I’m curious what the new WoO line-up will look like without Kinser, Shaffer, McMahon, Lasoski and the other big guns that went to the National Sprint Tour.

As for payouts, asphalt has traditionally paid far lower purses that dirt.

I grew up at Lernerville (dad worked for GM, one of his dealers gave us a season pass every year). Local, I prefer dirt way more than pavement, but yes, even in street stocks you are droping 30 on an engine to be competitive. 2 or 3 years ago one of the papers had a street stock guy document what he spent and it was crazy.

A buddy of mine switched from a dirt late model to a asphalt and didn’t see a great change in his budget. He only switched because up in his area (north central PA) most of the tracks were asphalt and he could run more. It’s not like rubbing is limited to dirt… His car was taken out many a night by some Cole Trickle want-to-be!

Can’t doubt the Miley’s, I think they will do good actually owning the track. Jennerstown does have the cleanest bathrooms I’ve seen at almost any track (even big time tracks). I hope the crowds do get bigger there, mainly because I love the drive up there!

Jeez, I did not know the WoO was coming on the 18th! I’m going to try and make it.

Miley seems to have changed some from his PPMS personna.

Gerge, I agree that there are idiots at EVERY track. Maybe I just caught a good night of racing at Motordrome. But, I know of a couple of modified racers who went from PPMS to Motordrome and spent less money. From what you and Jay are saying, they were winning less, too.

I have not been racing in a couple of years, so maybe times are changing.

he is a cheap ass! ppms track is a pos and has been for years because of him. last saturday he sat pole and won. they also inspected every other class except late model class. g i wonder y they didn’t inspect his class that night he won???

Silver:

Did they make Miley go across the scales after the win? If so, was his weight even displayed? I used to laugh when the display would “hiccup” whenever he went across the scales.

You running a car at PPMS or working with a team? I sort of miss satruday nights in the PPMS pits (sort of).

my cousin races at PPMS, he took this year off though, my uncle has been racing there for 25 years, so currently he has 2 complete Super LateModel cars, Rocket Chassis’, i could see if their for sale if someone is interested. i been going to the track since i was old enough to walk, my buddy Al used to race for Woltz & Wind, and his cousin Lynn is pretty well known.
I’m always lookin for someone to go with, PM

http://www.racingweb.com/Photos/2005/080605action/images/P8063783.jpg

Sounds like we need a Pittspeed night at the dirt track!

If it’s Lynn Geisler I was there the night he got booed at Lernerville for spinning Miley out with like two laps to go (years and years ago). He got out and called the fans stupid,which went over well. I was always a Blackie Watt fan and my dad was a big Bob Wearing fan so never cared much for the Giesler clan. Still to this day when I go past Watt’s Mack truck I beep and wave.