Discuss: Winter Tires, anyone?

We can get you Hakkas or winterforce…I recommend Hakkas but winterforce is cheap and very effective. The only downfall to a cheaper snowtire is that they tend to give more in the sidewall area. Causing you to sway with the slightest breeze or steering wheel movement. Hakkas are great in all weather, but you do have to pay for this improved handling.

I have the same ones in 205/50/16 and they are awesome. Didn’t have one issue in the snow at all last winter. Who needs AWD!!??? Not I! :grin:

i have a set of 4 blizzaks for sale actually :wink: 195/60/14

<-----91HFrex, fuck this i’m logging out lol

From what I can recall I had Blizzak W50s all around on my WRX was one of the best times I have ever had driving in winter.

My wife had Winterforce tires on her car last winter and that thing was a tank.
I was pretty impressed with their performance for the price you pay.

Last year I got a set of Nordman 1 studless snow tires from Tread City Tire. Don over there said they blow the Blizzak’s away hands down. Nokian makes them and they are absolutely sick. They cost me $300 mounted and balanced for (4) 195/70/14. I’ve never ran Blizzak’s, but I have ran Wintermasters and these tires are much better.

I have used a set of Goodyear Ice and snow - they were pretty cheap.

Let me tell you, I was powering through snow 3 feet high.

I also had quattro.

If you have AWD, I’d just go with any snow tire, seriously.

blizzaks are a nice tire and have beentop dog for awhile. if ur looking to spend a little less with good performance i reccomend dunlop grasspic sp2. awsome fucking tires they a great tread pattern to dissapate water and slush and last winter i beat the fuck out of my car and my snow tires didnt wear at all. now if you have some money to spend i reccomend michelin xice this tires is a absolute awsome snow tire. it has a directional patter soft tread and just was a outstanding performer last year. these tires come in every size imaginable to.

studded tires in buffalo is kind of over doing it I’d say :gotme:

I used to get around fine with some old school Mud/Snow tires. Still could have some fun if wanted, but at the sametime I could get through the snow when most could not. I remember this one time I stoped and most of the truck had snow up the wheel wells, I put her in gear and drove right out :tup:

Winterforce are good for a cheap tire but they seem to wear fast. I put 4 Cooper Weathermaster St2s on my tsi last winter and the thing was a beast. The one storm we has 2 feet and went through it like the road was bare.

I have run BLIZZAKS for about ten years and they are awesome but after experiencing the HAKKAPELIITTA I think I will be buying more of them.
They (BLIZZAKS and HAKKAPELIITTAS) are easily the top 2 studless snows.

IT appears that Blizzak W50s is pretty famous around here…

i wonder, out of these three, which are the cheapest yet still backed with good performance?

• Blizzak W50s
  • Winterforce
  • Copper weathermaster

I’m looking for size 195/60/15 for my steelies…it shouldn’t be that expensive, right?

Where can you still buy the WS50?
I thought they were replaced by the new model LM22.

I’ve been running hakka q’s for two winters. They are 185/55/15 and I found them on ebay for about 50 bucks each new. They are excellent tires but unless you find a good deal I think they are near the most expensive. I drive about 2000-3000 miles/month and they are looking pretty good after 2 winters, plenty left for a third. Snow/ice/slush/wet/whatever performance is great and the do surprisingly well on dry pavement. You’d think they would feel squirmy because you can move the sipes around with your fingers but they are pretty solid. Also very quiet.
I’d say mid november is a good time to put them on. I got caught on summer tires in the first storm last season, about a week before thanksgiving. That was a nightmare.

they were not replaced. It’s a different tire. WS-50s are the regular snow tires, LM-22s are the performance/high speed snow tire. The LM gives very slightly in snow grip (not enough for most people to notice) in trade for better performance when dry, and has a higher speed rating.

Tire Rack has both.

Hrmmmmm now that you guys bring up the LMs I really wonder if those are the ones I picked up…grrr only had them for 1 seaon (a very snowy one btw) and then sold them to Yeohbaby…wonder if he knows for sure

Ahhhhh.
I think because I was searching on lower profile maybe the WS50 didn’t show up.

That’s could be why :slight_smile:

stop with the snow talk

The WS-50 profiles start at 70’s w/ a generic tread, then change w/ the 50’s to a uni-directional one & end at 40’s. The LM-22’s are the performance low-profile version & go to 35’s I think.