Winterforce M+S w/ Studs or Blizzak REVO1

They are the same price on Tire Rack (after the studding), what would you choose?

Revo1. Not a fan of studded tires for WNY driving. If I lived out in the Rockies maybe, but for our flat country and occasional snow regular snow tires are fine. Hell, regular all seasons are fine for most cars.

revo 1s r awsome!

How is the treadwear on the Blizzaks? Mike over at Innovative was telling me they didn’t wear nearly as well as the Hak’s he had (not sure which model). Can you get multiple seasons on them??

Not sure about the revo1’s, but a couple of my friends had the WS-50’s and got 2 winters out of them and then sold them with lots of tread left. Both loved them and only sold them because they changed cars and the tires wouldn’t fit anymore.

You’re going to have wear issues with any snow if you try to drive them on clear days anything like you drive your summer tires. The compound is softer and designed to bond with the surface at a microscopic level. When you break that grip on dry tar you leave lots of tire behind, much more than a summer tire that rides on top of the road.

I miss my WS-50. :frowning:

i hope it’s gonna keep snowing now…

or else i’ll be wasting my winterforce, damnit

isnt there a pretty low limit on how fast you can drive with studs?

dozer, ran some studs last year, i think they might be the same thing.

I know with my WS-50s I didn’t need studds. they are the bomb pimp, but they don’t make my size any more. the REVO 1 replaced it.

Both are good tires. Studs are not needed. Especially for you, you have AWD. For as much driving you do Matt you can probably get easily 2 seasons out of both. I think, studs are not allowed in NYS.

I had winterforce before, I loved them.

i work at dunn tire, and every once and a while people buy studded tires, i didn’t think that they would be that loud (and i only got it to like 10 mph), but it would be kinda annoying to hear the noise every time you are on pavement

it is also his first winter driving stick, he needs all the help he can get

bhahahahhahahaa

i work at dunn tire with carl, i have studded snows on the front of my jetta, its good for straight line acceleration, but i would reccomend getting all 4 (obviously for awd) or if you actually want to turn without the back end sliding out. you cant even hear the noise when snow is on the ground though, and ive been driving around on them for a month and a half, u get used to the noise.

Hot Carl?

iam running dunlop graspic sp2 they work phenonminal if u buy 4 and rotate them i assure the blizzack will get you 2 to 3 season. get an alignment to because the soft tread of snow tires is very tempremental

I’ve got studded Winterforce M+S’s on my Jetta. Got them before last winter started. Still lots of tread left.

Do they work? I can’t even tell if the roads are snowy. They just don’t slip.

Are they overkill? Probably.

Also, studs are not legal in Canada. You can still drive across the border with them but you’ll get ticketed if you’re caught by a cop with them. They’re legal in NYS from October 15th through April 15th.

I like em. Definitely less grip on dry pavement than all-seasons, but they’re not bad. I just can’t go WOT in 1st gear in my big bad VR6 without the traction control light yelling at me. Then once it starts snowing you can laugh as you dance circles around everyone that doesn’t have studded snows. :tup:

Studs are very much not worth it, especially if you plan on being on the highway at all. They are meant for people that live in the mountains or areas where roads aren’t maintained (areas of vermont with dirt roads where they do plow, but the roads are a constant snow pack). They are loud, wear quickly on dry roads, ruin your ability to brake when its not snowy out